Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Lemon/Lime Mead?

Old 08-09-2008, 06:53 PM   #11
dudasaj
Dude
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blow Leprechaun View Post
I put lime into a beer and I created both an extract and a bitter for it, and the flavor came out exactly how I wanted it. Using both extract and bitter gave the lime more balance and it didn't taste artificial at all.

To make an extract, just steep zest in vodka for a while.
To make a bitter, steep the whole peel (zest and pith).

If I was going to do this, I'd do it that way for both lemons and limes and use that to get my flavor - this came out extremely cleanly and well balanced.
If you steep the zest in vodka, do you then add the vodka to the secondary? For the bitter do you steep the zest and pith in the secondary or the zest and pith in vodka? This is a method i am not familar with. What have you steeped in vodka, how long do you let it rest?

Old 08-09-2008, 11:58 PM   #12
Waboom!!
Recipes 

I infused vodka with lemon zest when I made Limoncello and the it took 1 week, the zest turns white thats when its done. also swirl it once a day.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:36 AM   #13
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudasaj View Post
If you steep the zest in vodka, do you then add the vodka to the secondary? For the bitter do you steep the zest and pith in the secondary or the zest and pith in vodka? This is a method i am not familar with. What have you steeped in vodka, how long do you let it rest?
The vodka holds the flavor, so yeah, that's what you add. And the bitter is steeped in vodka as well.

It's pretty much the same thing as putting something in secondary - the alcohol is leeching flavors out of it. But if you do it in vodka, you're dealing with a lot more alcohol and it gets the flavors a lot more quickly.

And then you can add the vodka just to get it to taste right instead of wondering how much total fruit to use or any of that stuff.

One thing I would also mention is if you intend to carbonate this mead, be sensitive adding lemon/lime flavors to it. Carbonation does a lot to liven citrus flavors.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:08 AM   #14
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 6

you better be careful....This could end up like Sprite with A shot of Vodka and a Spoon full of honey!
Roninghost Likes This 
Old 08-12-2008, 12:48 AM   #15
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1810 Times on 1051 Posts
Likes Given: 4502

Default Juice vs Zest & waiting...

Quote:
I am hoping for a defined lemon or lime flavor. Has anyone ever used lime honey. I was looking a honey sold from lime groves. I still not sure if the zest will give me the flavor i'm looking for. And the unfortunet thing about mead is you have to wait so long before it reaches its prime that you want more, and you have to wait againl.... I'm sure that discussion has been made many times.

I know Lemon/Lime is a stronger acid than most oranges, but most orange melomels have oranges in the primary/secondary.
I know from personal experience that using large amounts of lemon juice in the primary will kill your fermentation. There's just too much acid in it to allow a healthy fermentation. I'd make straight mead, maybe a sweet mead, or a medium mead & rack it onto zest in your secondary. I've been experimenting with a small batch for a while now & have learned the hard way that 20 oz of lemon juice into 3 gallons will effectively kill your yeast & clear your mead QUICK. Also, that 20 oz of lemon juice added NO discernable lemon flavour, not even after several months. All it did was make my mead harsher than it was. It's also a high alcohol mead, so I attempted to "fix" it by adding fresh lemon zest that I simmered in a pan of water & honey to make a sort of lemon syrup & added that to the offensive stuff. It's still pretty harsh, not sure if it'll ever settle down on it's own, but now it has the distinct aroma of lemon. If I'd done this from the start, I think my lemon melomel would be far less harsh & might even have been drinkable by now. You mentioned that you were looking for lime blossom honey. I've never heard of it, but it might be out there somewhere here is a link to a supplier of some rather exotic varietals http://www.beefolks.com/shopdisplayp...=Honey%2C+Bulk They might be able to help you out. I'm curious to see just what method(s) you end up using & your results. Hope you find this info useful, GF.
vic3500 Likes This 
Old 08-12-2008, 01:24 AM   #16
dudasaj
Dude

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Honey locator

If you insist on a certain variety on monofloral honey, this website has a search engine for suppliers and farms: http://www.honeylocator.com/

Old 08-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #17
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
If you insist on a certain variety on monofloral honey, this website has a search engine for suppliers and farms: http://www.honeylocator.com/
Kickass link!

Apparently there's a distributor near me with chestnut, pine, fir, heather, and thyme honey beyond the usual stuff.

I wonder if pine or fir would make a good base for a juniper mead...

Old 08-13-2008, 08:06 AM   #18
NewBlood
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just meet with a fellow brewer tonight to pick up some kegs and he let me try his JOAM that he modified with the addition of lime and I have to say...WOW

It was super good. I'm getting details from him on this and will be making a batch myself. From what I gather during our conversation he just replaced the orange with limes. There was no bitter taste to it at all...it was very smooth. I throughly enjoyed it.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:46 AM   #19
tooomanycolors
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

dont know if anyone cares but Im awake so heres my input, zest your fruit and get a small amount of the pith as well, then juice your fruit if you dont get enough juice go buy a couple of the plastic ones from the grocery store. then put all the juice in a pot and bring to a low boil and add the zest, then simmer for...lets call it 10 minutes or less dont reduce the liquid just bring out the zestyness then cool and pour this into your secondary/tetiary or whatever point you are at and rack your mead on top of the zesty-juice.

Secondary: Peach melomel (5 Gallons)

It seems like a FOX TV Show when a mead maker moves in with an AG brewer....They end up with **** like Lambic Braggot.
-BigKahuna
vic3500 Likes This 
Old 08-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #20
dudasaj
Dude

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Great ideas

All these sound like great techniques. I guess all I need now are more carboys and good limes.