Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Ideas for second Gluten Free brew?

Old 08-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #1
Lurpinator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ideas for second Gluten Free brew?

I bottled my first GF batch which was the Simple Simon sorghum beer from byo. I want to brew again some time this weekend, but I am not sure what I should put in this one. Any help/ideas are appreciated.

Primary: Nada
Drinking: EPIC brewing's "The Glutenator"
Aging: Nada
Planning: Another GF Belgian, an EPIC Glutenator clone, a Ginger-Apple hard cider

Please join the Gluten Free Brewers Group
Everyone is welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyWater View Post
Printenction is the key to being protectef onm you, Maybve if you are are ful you wont; throw up like oth er someone did. I thonk you need another beer possibljy/

Old 08-07-2008, 11:48 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 133 Posts

If you like hoppy beers, why not use the same recipe with a more aggressive hopping? The sorghum beers I've had have been overly sweet and not very hoppy. I suspect the sweetness is just inherent in using sorghum, but more bittering could balance that.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-08-2008, 12:02 AM   #3
Lurpinator
Recipes 

I found this on the Briess website, but would it make a difference if I used pellet or whole hops on this recipe? Also I'm not really familiar with dry hopping. Thanks

Hoppy to be Gluten Free Ale

Ingredients
7.5 lbs BriesSweet™ White Sorghum Syrup 45 DE High Maltose
1 oz Cascade Hops (6.5% AA) (Beginning of boil)
0.5 oz Cascade Hops (6.5% AA) (5 minutes before end of boil)
1 oz Cascade Hops (6.5% AA) ( End of boil)

1 oz Cascade Hops (6.5% AA) ( Dry hop)
2 pkgs Nottingham Dry Ale Yeast or Wyeast 1272GF Yeast
1 cup Honey (Bottling)
Brewing Procedures
Mix BriesSweet™ White Sorghum Syrup and water and bring to a boil.
Add bittering hops and boil for 40 minutes.
Add remaining hops according to schedule.
Quickly chill wort and pitch yeast.

Fermentation

Primary: 1.5 weeks at 65-70 F
Add dry hops after primary fermentation.
Bottle condition with honey.

Notes
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.016
Alcohol by vol: 5.2%
IBU: 37

Planning: Another GF Belgian, an EPIC Glutenator clone, a Ginger-Apple hard cider

Everyone is welcome!

Quote:
Printenction is the key to being protectef onm you, Maybve if you are are ful you wont; throw up like oth er someone did. I thonk you need another beer possibljy/

Old 08-08-2008, 12:15 AM   #4
fishops
Recipes 

Personally, I'd try steeping some grains to balance the raspberry sweet sorghum flavor. Buckwheat, corn malt and wild rice spring to mind. Also throw in some maltodextrin for body and head retention. Priming with honey seems like a bad idea, it's hard to get an exact figure on how much carbonation one cup will provide. Stick with 5oz dextrose per 5 gallon batch.

I've been getting interested in GF brewing, my mom is celiac so I was gonna make a beer for her

Oh and definitely try out EdWort's apfelwein. No gluten, and there's a reason it's so popular (and it's not just because it's 8.5%abv)
On Tap: Centennial Blonde
Kegged / Bottled: Oatmeal Stout, Dunkelweizen

Old 08-08-2008, 01:55 AM   #5
Lurpinator
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishops View Post
Personally, I'd try steeping some grains to balance the raspberry sweet sorghum flavor. Buckwheat, corn malt and wild rice spring to mind. Also throw in some maltodextrin for body and head retention. Priming with honey seems like a bad idea, it's hard to get an exact figure on how much carbonation one cup will provide. Stick with 5oz dextrose per 5 gallon batch.

I've been getting interested in GF brewing, my mom is celiac so I was gonna make a beer for her

Oh and definitely try out EdWort's apfelwein. No gluten, and there's a reason it's so popular (and it's not just because it's 8.5%abv)
So you mean just some unmalted buckwheat, toasted? I was also thinking of adding some brown sugar, or dark candy sugar, or maybe molasses as well. I'm a noob, so I don't quite understand how to use grains yet. Would it be pretty much all the fermentable sugars coming from the sorghum and brown sugar/molasses/candy sugar, and the buckwheat/amaranth just there to add some toasted grain flavors? Thanks

Everyone is welcome!

Quote: