Fat Tire results/observations--need input - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Fat Tire results/observations--need input

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2006, 03:28 PM   #1
jeffg
 
jeffg's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2006
Boston, MA
Posts: 278
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



So I have been drinking my Fat Tire clone for about a month now, and while I am reasonably happy with it, I am not fully satisfied. The only catch is, I do not have the real thing to do a side by side comparison, so I am only going by memory as to what is missing.

Here's my recipe for five gallons all-grain :

6 lbs belgian pale malt
.5 crystal 20
.5 crystal 40
.5 carapils
.5 Munich malt
.5 bisquit
.5 chocolate
1 oz willamette 4.9% 60 minutes
.3 oz Willammette 15
.3 oz Willamette 5

california ale yeast
OG 1.050
FG 1.009

For starters, I think I'd bump the grain bill up to 10 lbs and try to get a little more malt flavor, maybe by adding a pound of munich or vienna...not really sure. I think it could have use a teeny bit more hops as well. The other thing is, the california ale yeast is almost too clean. I recall Fat tire has a slight aftertaste to its finish that I associate with may be a different yeast. Thing is, I read an article with the brewer where he sugested using a clean yeast like the Chico yeast.

I think the bisquit flavor is just about right. What would more chocolate do to the flavor? I odn't think the color is perfect either, I think this is darker than FT which is dark but has a hint of amber/red in it (could be wrong there though).

I think it is good for my first attempt at this particular style, but it could be better. This appears to be one of the more popular styles on this board from what I can tell so I'd love some suggestions/input/etc.

What say you?


__________________
Primary: nada
Secondary: nada
On Tap: Uncle Willie's Pale Ale; Kolsch
Bottled: Salvator Dopplebock
Up Next: Octoberfest

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
El Pistolero
 
El Pistolero's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2005
Houston, Baja Oklahoma
Posts: 3,585
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffg
I recall Fat tire has a slight aftertaste to its finish that I associate with may be a different yeast. Thing is, I read an article with the brewer where he sugested using a clean yeast like the Chico yeast.

I think the bisquit flavor is just about right. What would more chocolate do to the flavor?
I keep hearing references to that quote, and I know the vast majority of the clone recipes I've seen use Chico, but I'm still not convinced. I used Belgian Abbey (WLP530) in my clone, and it tastes a lot like Fat Tire, tho it still doesn't have the slight touch of pepper that the real thing does. As for the bisquit...I used 3 oz of bisquit and 4 oz of belgian aromatic...it's pretty close, but I might cut back a little on the aromatic next time. My LHBS guy told me that they had tried Chocolate malt in their Fat Tire clones but were never happy with it


__________________
[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:51 PM   #3
jeffg
 
jeffg's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2006
Boston, MA
Posts: 278
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


You know, the more I think about it the more I think that the chocolate probably does not belong in this recipe. It's too dark and the flavor is wrong. I looked at the picture on their website and it is a nice rich mahagony amber. I suspect the way to go is to add a heavier lovibond crystal/carmel malt, like 70-80, which will add some malty-sweetness. I like the idea of aromatic too.

I probably need a second hop variety....
__________________
Primary: nada
Secondary: nada
On Tap: Uncle Willie's Pale Ale; Kolsch
Bottled: Salvator Dopplebock
Up Next: Octoberfest

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:29 PM   #4
sonvolt
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Posts: 900
Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts


Just curious . . . what is the "style" of Fat Tire? I've never had the opportunity to enjoy it. I hear so much about it, though. Obviously a belgian style, but . . .

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:12 AM   #5
El Pistolero
 
El Pistolero's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2005
Houston, Baja Oklahoma
Posts: 3,585
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by sonvolt
Just curious . . . what is the "style" of Fat Tire?
Beer Captured calls it a Belgian Pale Ale (16B), tho most will tell you that's it's not Belgian at all...I've personally have come to the conclusion that a Belgian Pale Ale isn't Belgian, which puts my tiny little beer universe back in order.
__________________
[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:38 AM   #6
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Dude's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Posts: 8,770
Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by sonvolt
Just curious . . . what is the "style" of Fat Tire? I've never had the opportunity to enjoy it. I hear so much about it, though. Obviously a belgian style, but . . .
It is an American amber.
__________________
On Tap: Lake Walk Pale Ale -- Eternity (Raspberry Stout) -- Nutrocker -- Donnybrook Dark
Primary: Lake Walk Pale Ale
Secondary: Summit IPA
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:10 AM   #7
God Emporer BillyBrew
 
God Emporer BillyBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Melnibone
Posts: 1,509
Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffg
So I have been drinking my Fat Tire clone for about a month now, and while I am reasonably happy with it, I am not fully satisfied. The only catch is, I do not have the real thing to do a side by side comparison, so I am only going by memory as to what is missing.

Here's my recipe for five gallons all-grain :

6 lbs belgian pale malt
.5 crystal 20
.5 crystal 40
.5 carapils
.5 Munich malt
.5 bisquit
.5 chocolate
1 oz willamette 4.9% 60 minutes
.3 oz Willammette 15
.3 oz Willamette 5

california ale yeast
OG 1.050
FG 1.009

For starters, I think I'd bump the grain bill up to 10 lbs and try to get a little more malt flavor, maybe by adding a pound of munich or vienna...not really sure. I think it could have use a teeny bit more hops as well. The other thing is, the california ale yeast is almost too clean. I recall Fat tire has a slight aftertaste to its finish that I associate with may be a different yeast. Thing is, I read an article with the brewer where he sugested using a clean yeast like the Chico yeast.

I think the bisquit flavor is just about right. What would more chocolate do to the flavor? I odn't think the color is perfect either, I think this is darker than FT which is dark but has a hint of amber/red in it (could be wrong there though).

I think it is good for my first attempt at this particular style, but it could be better. This appears to be one of the more popular styles on this board from what I can tell so I'd love some suggestions/input/etc.

What say you?
I'm brewing that recipe this weekend. I ran into a guy at the LHBS that said that he tried to clone it and it ended up tasting horrible. He used a different recipe but I was still discouraged. I'm glad to hear you had at least decent results.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Desert Planet Brewing Co.

Primary :Bloody Nose Porter
Primary 2: Bloody Nose Porter
Secondary: Blackberry Melomel
Secondary 2:air
Bottled : 14 Pound Hammer Cider, Punkin Ale, know ale, Domino wheat
Keg 1: **** Inside Her
Keg 2: IPA
Keg 3: one on a weeknight, two on a weekend IIPA
Future : Ginger Cream Ale,

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:09 PM   #8
jeffg
 
jeffg's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2006
Boston, MA
Posts: 278
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Oh it's very drinkable and no one I have shared it with has disliked it, it's just not what it should be. If you are using the same recipe I did more or less I'd substitute some crystal 70 or 80 for the chocolate, maybe add some aromatic and maybe bump up the munich a little more. what hops are you planning on?
__________________
Primary: nada
Secondary: nada
On Tap: Uncle Willie's Pale Ale; Kolsch
Bottled: Salvator Dopplebock
Up Next: Octoberfest

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:52 PM   #9
AleJoe
Recipes 
 
Apr 2005
Posts: 75
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Austin Homebrew has a fat tire clone I've brewed, I can look for recipe.

It is an american amber btw

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:48 PM   #10
God Emporer BillyBrew
 
God Emporer BillyBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Melnibone
Posts: 1,509
Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffg
Oh it's very drinkable and no one I have shared it with has disliked it, it's just not what it should be. If you are using the same recipe I did more or less I'd substitute some crystal 70 or 80 for the chocolate, maybe add some aromatic and maybe bump up the munich a little more. what hops are you planning on?
Willamette and fuggles. Unfortunately, my grains are already milled and mixed together. I guess I just add some Crystal and leave the chocolate.


__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Desert Planet Brewing Co.

Primary :Bloody Nose Porter
Primary 2: Bloody Nose Porter
Secondary: Blackberry Melomel
Secondary 2:air
Bottled : 14 Pound Hammer Cider, Punkin Ale, know ale, Domino wheat
Keg 1: **** Inside Her
Keg 2: IPA
Keg 3: one on a weeknight, two on a weekend IIPA
Future : Ginger Cream Ale,

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First AG in the keg - observations DD2000GT All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 1 04-19-2009 02:38 PM
Flat Tire (Fat Tire) Beer horsejody Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 04-15-2009 11:17 PM
Observations from First Brew rcrabb22 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 07-04-2008 11:06 PM
first kegging observations... bc23 Bottling/Kegging 3 03-29-2008 08:05 PM
Spare Tire (Fat Tire clone) ohiobrewtus Home Brewing Photo Forum 15 08-18-2007 03:15 AM


Forum Jump