HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Winners Drawn - 24 Hours to Claim!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

Old 09-29-2009, 05:18 AM   #81
ODP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I have room for a large one but I prefer to have several smaller ones. My reasoning is if I am doing a Lager I can just take out the kegs and turn it up to 58 . Then I can even do the rest in it by just turning it off and opening it up and then lager at 36 until its ready to serve. All the while still having 3 or 4 beers on tap .
I did forget to mention that while I have a smaller chest freezer for kegging in the house, I do have a fridge for fermentation only in the store room- so having a chest freezer large enough to keg AND ferment in would just be too much

Old 09-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #82
Patster
Recipes 

Well, I pulled the trigger on the 9 foot Frigidaire from Lowes. They'll drop it off tonight.

I also have an old, small chest freezer (~5 foot) that serves as my fermenter. I am hoping I can fit two cornies in there, but worried that it'll only fit one without a collar. I'm an ex Mr Beer guy, and I could easily fit 4 batches in there, two in the minikegs and two in bottles. I finally upgraded this weekend and bought a 5 gal kit. Now I just need the keg system and I'll be all set!

Old 09-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #83
ODP
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nice! Congrats on the purchase...you need to post pics in the kegerator thread when you get it up and running!

Old 09-30-2009, 01:34 AM   #84
BillKlineVT
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Guy View Post
Get the Holiday 7.0 cubic foot from Home Depot for $198.00 regular price, it holds 4 5 gal corny kegs plus a 5# CO2 tank, no collar, no waiting for sales!
Did you actually fit 4 kegs into it? I just went to look at Lowes and brought along some cardboard circles at 8.5" diameter. I could only get 3 to fit, and 4 with like a 1/8" overlap. Any pics of them fitting the Holiday 7.0? I'm considering this or the Frigidaire 9.0 that is also at Lowes for $278

Old 09-30-2009, 03:12 AM   #85
Snausages01
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Craigslist is nice, but you can get some pretty good deals at the stores when they run sales. Keep any eye out at Lowes, they had a pretty good sales on energy star stuff a few weeks ago. I got the 14.8 cubic foot Frigidaire for $340 with tax included. ( http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...5HW&lpage=none ) I wasn't really planning on buying one at the time, but for the price I couldn't pass it up.

Currently I am using a Ranco controller and using it for fermentation.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #86
springer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patster View Post
Well, I pulled the trigger on the 9 foot Frigidaire from Lowes. They'll drop it off tonight.

I also have an old, small chest freezer (~5 foot) that serves as my fermenter. I am hoping I can fit two cornies in there, but worried that it'll only fit one without a collar. I'm an ex Mr Beer guy, and I could easily fit 4 batches in there, two in the minikegs and two in bottles. I finally upgraded this weekend and bought a 5 gal kit. Now I just need the keg system and I'll be all set!
If its like the one I have then two will fit in it I put the collar on to fit one on the hump. I bought it at Home depot its a 5 cf whirlpool but I think they just rebadge them. See post 77 in this thread.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #87
elmetal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

the holiday 7 cu ft does fit 4 kegs.

only the taller thinner ball locks though, I tried 3 ball locks and a pin, no luck. has to be 4 ball locks

Old 10-01-2009, 01:13 PM   #88
lowlife
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patster View Post
Anybody have the 9 cubic ft from Frigidaire? It is currently $278 according to Lowes online, with free delivery (Item #: 90724 Model: LFFC09M5HW). At $70 more than the 7 cu.ft. ones from GE/Holiday, it looks like it would be worth the extra $.

By the way, how do you folks get those big freezers home when you find them on CL? Do you all just happen to have pick-up trucks? Free delivery on a new freezer sounds pretty appealing to me for that reason, but maybe I'm missing something.
I have it. It fits 4 corny kegs with no collar. Put a collar on it and you can put some on the hump as well. Also it fits 3 better bottles (barely) if you dont put airlocks (I use foil).

Old 10-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #89
scopey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmetal View Post
the holiday 7 cu ft does fit 4 kegs.

only the taller thinner ball locks though, I tried 3 ball locks and a pin, no luck. has to be 4 ball locks
Is that "fit 4 kegs" in the main area, without anything on the compressor hump? Just curious...

Old 10-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #90
elmetal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yes sir. 4 ball locks. ver yvery very tight fit. not on the compressor. with the compressor hump and a collar I'd say 5.