Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

Old 12-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #691
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 662 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBrigade View Post
I don't think I want to use picnic type tap's....
They're $4 or so. Pick one up so you can test the force carb keg, or as a spare just in case one of your faucets break.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 12-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #692
BadgerBrigade
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856

They're $4 or so. Pick one up so you can test the force carb keg, or as a spare just in case one of your faucets break.
Good call

Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider

Old 12-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #693
thadius856

Recipes 

I predict that the GE 7.0CF FCM7SUWW is going on sale again next week. Next week for Home Depot starts 01/06/13. Anybody know where I can find the ad ahead of time?

Previous sale dates indicate it may be cyclical:

11/24/12
06/21/12
01/06/12
11/10/11

Crossing fingers. Will try to track one down locally tomorrow at Home Depot. That way, if it does go on sale, I can just get the difference credited back.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #694
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
I predict that the GE 7.0CF FCM7SUWW is going on sale again next week. Next week for Home Depot starts 01/06/13. Anybody know where I can find the ad ahead of time?

Previous sale dates indicate it may be cyclical:

11/24/12
06/21/12
01/06/12
11/10/11

Crossing fingers. Will try to track one down locally tomorrow at Home Depot. That way, if it does go on sale, I can just get the difference credited back.
When I went to Home Depot that model was $220..... I think I saw it at Home Depot Online for $189...
But I ended up going to Walmart, and got it for $139. Maybe it will be that price on their website as well?
I dont like Walmart but at almost $80 difference I just couldn't resist, And the money I saved will allow me to have all Perlick taps

Old 12-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #695
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
Here comes a long response. The short answer is you can do it however you want.

You do not need a separate tank to force carbonate (speed up the natural carbonation process). It's just a pain in the ass, unless you make some concessions. Force carbing requires you to up the target keg to 30 psi, then ramp it down. To do this, you need some way to prevent from giving the serving kegs 30 psi.

The cheapest way to force carb on the same tank as serving kegs is to disconnect them. You can still get some pours off before the pressure drops in the serving keg, at which point you could disconnect the force carb keg and reconnect the serving keg to goose their pressure. Repeat as needed. Personally, that's the type of inconvenience I wanted to avoid by building a keezer.

Stepping up in price, if you have a manifold or distributor with shutoff valves, you can just shut off the valves instead of disconnecting kegs. This is easier, but still, not ideal. If you have a party, you'd have to man the CO2 tank.

Continuing up, the next option would be a dual-body primary. This is a primary on the CO2 tank that has two separate pressures and out ports. I went with this setup. I'm going to run the 1st primary to my force carbing keg at 30 PSI. The 2nd primary will be set to much lower serving pressures and connected to a distributor that feeds the serving kegs.

Another step up is to buy a secondary for each keg so you can dial in exactly what pressure they should get. This is probably the most expensive option, but gives the most flexibility. A 4-port secondary array will set you back $200, about the same price as the freezer.

The last option is to run two tanks, one for the serving kegs and one for the force carbing keg. If bought at the right price, a 2nd tank and 2nd primary isn't all that expensive. And it allows you to screw up and empty your CO2 tank while having a spare leftover. Note that this option takes up a bit more real estate in the keezer; you won't be able to fit 5 kegs in the GE 7.0 CF if you put a 2nd CO2 tank inside.

I bought a spare 5# tank because I live 45 minutes from the preferred tank filler, but it's on the way to work. I don't want to have to make an extra trip that far if I don't have to. Indeed, if I avoid 3 unnecessary trips, that pays for the spare tank in fuel savings. Mine won't be stored in the keezer.

I have a two-gauge regulator with wye connectors. I'm going to add one of these to the system so I can control the pressure in each keg.
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=609

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #696
thadius856

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post
I have a two-gauge regulator with wye connectors. I'm going to add one of these to the system so I can control the pressure in each keg.
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=609
Very valid setup. I hadn't written up that option because he'll eventually want something like you're planning to get, which may end up being a washer after separate shipping and the cost of the parts he's no longer using.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #697
thadius856

Recipes 

Quote:
When I went to Home Depot that model was $220..... I think I saw it at Home Depot Online for $189...
But I ended up going to Walmart, and got it for $139. Maybe it will be that price on their website as well?
I dont like Walmart but at almost $80 difference I just couldn't resist, And the money I saved will allow me to have all Perlick taps
Walmart doesn't list any GE chest freezers on their website.

Can you confirm it's the 7.0 CF model? That's a really big price difference. Sounds like you picked up the 5.0 CF model.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #698
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:

Walmart doesn't list any GE chest freezers on their website.

Can you confirm it's the 7.0 CF model? That's a really big price difference. Sounds like you picked up the 5.0 CF model.
I guarantee you it is 7 cubic model...
Call want Walmart in Marina California.. (831)883-9138
Model FCM7SU (WW)

I called Home Depot and they had the very exact model for $220 in the store... But I am pretty sure I saw the same model on their website for $189
But before I ordered, just for the hell of it, I called Walmart and target to see if they had chest freezers... Target had nine but when I called Walmart the girl told me it was a seven cubic and then she told me the price and I just about choked... I had her reread me the model number about three or four times, Then I took her name down and said I was coming there in an hour and I hoped she was correct.... When I got there I confirm the model number on the side of the box and then pulled out my trusty iPhone to do a little further research to make sure I was not getting something different.

GE makes two different 7 cubic models...
The FCM7SUWW
AND THE FCM7DUWW
I don't quite know the difference between these two, I think it has to do with defrost, but both say they have manual defrost....

P.s. Walmart also had a pretty good deals on Black & Decker 7 cu ft models

Old 12-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #699
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

I guess the FCM7DUWW Model has a drain pan and the locking lid... Seems to be the only difference.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #700
thadius856

Recipes 

Quote:
I guess the FCM7DUWW Model has a drain pan and the locking lid... Seems to be the only difference.
It has a larger hump. Owners of it say that you cannot get 4 kegs on the floor, as I presume you can't fit two poly buckets on the floor either, making it less desirable as a fementation chamber. Other than the Igloo FRF472 (Best Buy), it's the only 7 CF model that cannot get 4 ball locks on the floor.

It's the "Sam's Club" model. I'm surprised they're selling it at Walmart now; but then again, I'm not, consider they have the same parent company. I'd expect at the lower price point that it's made to a lower mechanical specification, but I'm unable to confirm that.