Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs - Page 24 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2010, 06:29 PM   #231
cedar_lake
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Vermont
Posts: 89
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_beer View Post
Quick question. Does anyone know how many ball lock kegs can fit into the Holiday 7' freezer @ Lowes? It appears to fit at least 4, however I can't see the hump in the pict and not sure how similar it is to the 5'.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_73849-33112-...03_4294937087_

Its time to buy myself a b-day gift!
I just got one. Three fit just fine. I couldn't see a way to cram in a fourth, but it is close. I'm guessing five with a collar and gas on the outside.

I'm just happy to be drinking my beer cold for now. Many keezer mods are in the future though..



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:52 PM   #232
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
TomSD's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Lemon Grove, CA, CA
Posts: 1,360
Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts


I see quite a few questions about the GE 7.0 cf from Home Depot (FCM7SUWW)...



It holds four on the floor if you aren't afraid to apply some torque. One on the hump and a 10# CO2 bottle. You need a tall collar though to get one on the hump.

Oh these are 8.5" ball lock kegs.


__________________

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Reason: Added keg type/size

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #233
DubbelDach
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
Lancaster, PA
Posts: 1,270
Liked 47 Times on 35 Posts


Trying to decide between the GE 7.0 (Home Depot) and the Holiday 7.0 (Lowes)

GE is $198 but the bastards would charge $59 for delivery.

Holiday is $187, plus they'll take 10% off with a coupon I have, plus it's FREE delivery.

I have looked extensively at both of these... Is GE that much better than Holiday? I mean, this will all work out to like $90 cheaper for the Holiday. They look freakin' identical. Same measurements and design. If I didn't know any better, I'd say they were made by the same company and branded differently.

Matter of fact, I don't know any better... Are they?!?!?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #234
pkincaid
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
pkincaid's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Bakersfield, California
Posts: 418
Liked 100 Times on 47 Posts


Ok... my hubby asked what I wanted for x-mas and I told him I wanted my gift early, like halloween early, and i wanted a corny keg! He said ok! I'm trying to gather all the info I can, this thread is amazingly helpful.... Here comes the dumb question.... It's ok to put the CO2 tank in the cooler? ((I know I see them in the pics)) but operating them cold is no issue? I always thought they had to sitting outside the cooler.

Thanks guys!
__________________
Primary 1: Apple cider
Primary 2: Apple Cider
Secondary 1: Apple cider
Secondary 2: Empty
Bottled:Rootbeer, apple cider, sweet mead
Kegged apple ciderUp Next: 3 honey mead

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:22 PM   #235
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
TomSD's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Lemon Grove, CA, CA
Posts: 1,360
Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbelDach View Post
GE is $198 but the bastards would charge $59 for delivery.
Really? They say free shipping on the website and it was free when I had mine shipped to me (like a month or so ago).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkincaid View Post
Ok... my hubby asked what I wanted for x-mas and I told him I wanted my gift early, like halloween early, and i wanted a corny keg! He said ok! I'm trying to gather all the info I can, this thread is amazingly helpful.... Here comes the dumb question.... It's ok to put the CO2 tank in the cooler? ((I know I see them in the pics)) but operating them cold is no issue? I always thought they had to sitting outside the cooler.

Thanks guys!
You can do it either way... most do it inside. Just don't expect accurate readings on what is left in the tank since it'll appear to be low due to the temperature. Not a big deal really and most suggest taping over or removing the tank gauge so you aren't distracted by it, lol.
__________________

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:11 AM   #236
rawlus
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
milford, ma
Posts: 486
Liked 54 Times on 37 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbelDach View Post
Trying to decide between the GE 7.0 (Home Depot) and the Holiday 7.0 (Lowes)

GE is $198 but the bastards would charge $59 for delivery.

Holiday is $187, plus they'll take 10% off with a coupon I have, plus it's FREE delivery.

I have looked extensively at both of these... Is GE that much better than Holiday? I mean, this will all work out to like $90 cheaper for the Holiday. They look freakin' identical. Same measurements and design. If I didn't know any better, I'd say they were made by the same company and branded differently.

Matter of fact, I don't know any better... Are they?!?!?
there are mainly three manufacturers that make all the chest freezers for all the brands, so it is not uncommon to see the same internals as well as very similar externals. i dont personally think one brand is any better than the next when all other factors are equal or nearly so.

The majority are manufactured by three companies: Frigidaire (owned by Electrolux), W.C. Wood (based in Canada) and Haier (based in China). Frigidaire makes freezers under the Frigidaire, Holiday and Gibson names, and along with Haier, makes some freezers for Kenmore and General Electric. W.C. Wood makes freezers for Amana, Magic Chef, some units for Maytag, Danby and Whirlpool. Haier makes freezers for GE, Kenmore, some units for Maytag and Amana in addition to selling some models under its own name.

i would not put my name to the above list, the parts and components are sort of a commodity so several suppliers or entirely new suppliers could be contributing to a particular model. needless to say however, if two brand models look alike, chances are very good they are nearly identical.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #237
DubbelDach
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
Lancaster, PA
Posts: 1,270
Liked 47 Times on 35 Posts


Thanks rawlus... Great info!

Bought the Holiday from Lowe's... $189 - 10% ($18.90) = $170.10 + tax.

It's being free delivered on Thursday morning.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:42 PM   #238
Naked_Eskimo
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
USA
Posts: 346
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I see that people have posted that you can put 3 kegs and a CO2 tank in the 5.0cu Holiday, but does anyone know whether I'd be able to do the same with the GE model

http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-...atalogId=10053.

There is no model in store for me to look at, so cant size it myself.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #239
Malticulous
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
St. George Utah
Posts: 4,139
Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked_Eskimo View Post
I see that people have posted that you can put 3 kegs and a CO2 tank in the 5.0cu Holiday, but does anyone know whether I'd be able to do the same with the GE model

http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-...atalogId=10053.

There is no model in store for me to look at, so cant size it myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
GE 5.0 cu. ft. at Sam's Club for $151.73
With a collar it should work. I think that the one on the compressor needs moved to the other side than in the pic.
__________________
Everything is better with a beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:10 AM   #240
Bixter1
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Bixter1's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Philadelphia, PA, PA
Posts: 149

This has to be the best thread on the internet ever



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many kegs fit in this chest freezer... pcrawford Bottling/Kegging 12 08-17-2010 03:53 PM
How big a chest freeze for mix of Corny kegs and commercial kegs? StunnedMonkey Bottling/Kegging 5 08-17-2008 05:55 PM
Chest Freezer Size for soda kegs kappclark Bottling/Kegging 4 07-25-2007 12:06 PM
Chest freezer Born Brewing Co. Bottling/Kegging 2 08-03-2006 11:53 AM
kegs in a chest freezer tjm6 Equipment/Sanitation 8 08-01-2005 11:20 PM


Forum Jump