Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Raspberry Wheat Recipe (Feedback Please)

Old 08-06-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
drevilz4l
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Raspberry Wheat Recipe (Feedback Please)

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Waw's Raspberry Wheat
Brewer: Me
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Wheat
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 4.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 17.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb Fruit - Raspberry (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 26.1 %
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 34.8 %
4.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 34.8 %
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.3 %
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00%] (60 min) Hops 9.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00%] (30 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00%] (15 min) (Aroma Hop-SHops -
1 Pkgs American Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP32Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 8.50 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Step Add 10.63 qt of water at 170.6 F 155.0 F 60 min

Notes:
------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Up next - Flemish Red Ale
Kegged - Empty :(

Old 08-06-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
Jilaman
Recipes 

You adding the fruit to the mash? or boil? You have to consider the pectin will set if you heat it too long. If you want the raspberry flavor you want to add it to the secondary.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
devaspawn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 to that. I'd add the raspberries to the secondary. Freeze them for a couple of days to break down the membrane walls. You would then let the thaw. You could blender 'em and then put in a muslin bag, put them in your secondary, and THEN rack your beer on top of it or you could skip the blender and do the same process.

Prim 1: Ogre's House Red Ale
Prim 2: Apfelwein

Old 08-07-2008, 02:36 AM   #4
ericd
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

Malts look good, but go super light on the hops in a fruit beer. 15ibu is the most you'd ever want.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:03 AM   #5
beesy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I recently did a raspberry wheat with a similar grain bill. I am actually drinking one now! Cheers. I used 1oz Hallertauer 4aa for 60 minutes and .25oz Hallertauer 4aa at 20 minutes. Turned out great!! +2 to adding your raspberry to 2nd fermenter. I just tossed mine right in. Wish would have put in a nylon bag or transfered through a nylon bag into keg, as I got a few seeds and some floaties out of the tap.
Produces a beer with a very "natural" raspberry taste that is a lot cleaner and more natural tasting than say Purple Haze.
One conern may be yeast- White labs describes that one with minor banana/clove flavor. Don;t think you want any of those flavors mixing against the raspberry flavor. I am not familiar with that yeast so i cannot comment on it's actual flavor profile. I used Wyeast 1010, turned out great.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd use some Noble hop varieties and lower the IBU's as mentioned above.
Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 08-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
drevilz4l
Recipes 

As always great feedback. I will lower the IBU's a bit, and will definatley add the raspberrys to the secondary. I want to use Hallertauer hop pellets but my local store is currently our of stock. Any reccomendations on a decent substitute.

http://www21.inetba.com/westboylston...rium/_hops.htm

I could buy hops instead of pellets but I have never used whole hops before. Is it that much different?

I also had one more question in regard to yeast. I actually have some left over White Labs #WLP004 that I washed and have been storing, do you think that could be used or should I go with a wheat beer type yeast.

As always thanks again for your feedback, my brews always turn out great because of it.
Up next - Flemish Red Ale
Kegged - Empty :(

Old 08-08-2008, 03:30 AM   #8
beesy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

i started using pellets, but get whole or plug hop whenever i can, especially for dry-hopping. i know a lot of people used pellets to dry hop because they settle out, but to each their own. The only thing i notice on whole or plug hops is that they absorb a lot of liquid. I usually toss in an extra pint of wort in the boil to account for the whole hops. If it is a big hop boil, like 2-3 oz of whole hop, i add a little more. If you never used, you won't believe the weight of them in your strainer after the boil. I also let my strainer sit on top of my primary bucker, covering as much as possible, to try to collet a little extra liquid that will drip out of the hops. Getting whole hop Hallertauer will be better than so pellet of something you aren;t looking to use.

As far as the yeast, I am not familiar with WhiteLab as my LHBS has only Wyeast, and it is all i use. However, if you are looking to do a raspberry wheat, use a low banana/clove ester wheat strain. If you were in columbus, i would gladly give you a washed Wyeast 1010. Good luck. If you have any more ? on this, give me a shout.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:49 AM   #9
devaspawn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My understanding is that hop pellets have a little better utilization potential than whole hops.

Prim 1: Ogre's House Red Ale
Prim 2: Apfelwein

Old 08-08-2008, 06:06 AM   #10
beesy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

you are right. generally better utilization. but that doesn't translate to better flavor/taste. don;t want to knock either or. i think both have their strengths and weakenesses. just a preference thing i guess. once i started working with whole/plug hops, feel like i got comfortable with whole hop and let it roll out. just stating, IMHO, use whole hop of a variety your are looking to use, rather than use a pellet of something you are using as a substitute.