Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics)

Old 06-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #501
uabericm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the tips. Brewed my second mini mash last night and everything worked great. It actually went so well, I think I am going to hold off on the MLT until I get into AG or bigger PM.

One question as usual: Early in the thread you spoke of efficiency...how is that determined and what affects the efficiency?

Also, following your procedure my starting gravities have been a little higher than expected, is that a problem or a benefit from PM?

Old 06-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #502
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 129 Posts

Having a higher starting gravity means you got better efficiency than you had expected. I use promash to determine my efficiency. Basically, you plug in your recipe and, based on your starting gravity, you determine your efficiency.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 06-10-2009, 08:31 AM   #503
FuelshopMcgee
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

About to try this out this weekend using my variation of your dunkelweizen...I have about 5.5lbs of grist and I have a kettle that can hold over 6 gal of water...

How much water should I be boiling with the grains and how much water in the sparge container?

Just trying to get everything mapped out to make this weekend smooth...

here is the recipe im using again

Broners&Brewbies SlamDUNKelweizen (Deathbrewer edit)
15-B Dunkelweizen
Author: Broners&Brewbies
Date: 5/31/09

Size: 5.24 gal
Efficiency: 70.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 164.95 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.050 (1.044 - 1.056)
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.010 - 1.014)
Color: 18.83 (14.0 - 23.0)
Alcohol: 4.88% (4.3% - 5.6%)
Bitterness: 14.5 (10.0 - 18.0)

Ingredients:
1.0 lb Carawheat®
2.0 lb Dark Wheat Malt
2.0 lb Munich 10L Malt
.5 lb Pale Chocolate Malt
3.0 lb Dry Wheat
1.0 oz Hallertau (3.8%) - added during boil, boiled 50.0 min
.5 oz Hallertau Tradition (6.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
.5 oz Hallertau Tradition (6.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
.25 oz Orange Peel (dried) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
1.0 ea White Labs WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

Notes
This recipe was derived from Deathbrewer on homebrewtalk.com. Thanks to him for giving me a great recipe to build off of! Here is a copy of the original recipe

Grains:
3 lbs Wheat Malt
2 lbs Munich Malt
¼ lbs Chocolate Malt (pale chocolate is wonderful in this recipe)

Extract: 3 lbs Wheat Dry Malt Extract

Hops: 0.75 oz Tettnanger, hallertau or saaz (at ~4% AA)

Yeast: WLP 300

ferment in the mid 60s if you can

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.3

The ABV is a little lower then what I was looking for do you think it would be okay to bump the dark wheat malt up to 3lbs in beer tools it keeps me within style boundaries but bumps the abv up above 5% which is a little closer to what I wanted to see. There is also the option of doing 1.5lbs of carawheat and 2.5 lbs of dark wheat malt which gets me a little darker color (good thing) and the higher abv...I just dont want this to end up OVERLY sweet!

any tips?

Old 06-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #504
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Does that dark wheat have any diastatic power? It may not have any enzymes and, if not, you will not get good conversion from your grains...

Just looked it up, and it appears to have only 10% diastatic power, which is not enough to convert even itself. I would replace some of your munich with pale malt to ensure you get proper conversion.

That being said, this recipe works perfect with my 2 gallon mash, 2 gallon sparge. Your sparge could go up to 4 gallons, depending on your pot size. Don't "boil" any of it, of course, just make sure your mash is at about 148-154°F after you add you grains. Use this calculator, it really helps:

Green Bay Rackers--Mash Calculators

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 06-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #505
FuelshopMcgee
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

okay apparently I need to take a step back and re-think my situation because that just went way over my head ....I know you replied to try and help but I think I just got even more lost...I dont have any pale malt on hand I guess I could order some and wait for it to show up (im in germany and have to wait on the mail) Here is what I have on hand as far as ingredients...if you see any work arounds in here let me know otherwise I will order the pale malt (crisp) probably 1 or 2 lbs. If you dont mind answer a few questions what would be the purpose of the sparge being 4 gallons if my mash pot can hold 4 gallons? If I stick with your tried and true method of 2 gal mash and 2 gal sparge do you just add another gallon or two when you go to the regular boil portion?

all of my ingredients on hand are

3 lbs of cara wheat
2 lbs munich 10L
3 lbs Dark wheat
1/2 lb of Pale Choc

and
3 lbs plain wheat DME

edit: okay so Ive figured out that diastatic power is basically the grains ability to break down starches into sugars...what your saying is that since im using all of these Dark malt grains im not going to be able to effectively convert the starches into enough sugar and will end up with a very weak beer. Why would I replace some of the munich 10L with pale malt and not some of the dark wheat? Im guessing because of the style of beer? Im also not seeing how you found the 10% diastatic power here is a link to the grain I ordered....

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/produ...px?ProdID=3915

thanks again DB for helping me out

Old 06-11-2009, 03:52 PM   #506
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Yeah, you could replace some of the dark wheat with regular malted wheat or replace some of the munich with pale malt, but I would keep your barley/wheat ratio where it's at.

I'd probably replace half of the dark wheat with malted wheat, actually. 3 lbs is a little much anyway.

The carawheat is a crystal malt, too, so don't use too much of that. 1 lb is probably as high as I would go.

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 06-11-2009, 06:16 PM   #507
FuelshopMcgee
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

oh no no..That wasnt my ratio this is just what I have sitting in the cupboard!

the ratio I was going to use is up a few posts

1.0 lb Carawheat®
2.0 lb Dark Wheat Malt
2.0 lb Munich 10L Malt
3.0 lb Dry Wheat

so what about subbing .5 lb from each the munich and the dark wheat and then adding in 1 lb of the pale malt?

or as an alternative subbing 1 lb from each the munich and dark wheat and respectively adding 1lb of White Wheat (Rahr)- 1 lb for the dark wheat and 1 lb of pale malt to sub for the munich 10L? Its cheap stuff so I really dont mind buying a few more I just want to make sure this comes out right.

Im going to make a new post to get some info without cluttering up your post. I dont want to threadjack

Old 06-11-2009, 06:57 PM   #508
killerhertz
Recipes 

What does the water to grain ratio affect? Is it okay to use more water so it's easier to cover the grains? I'm not sure how Beer Smith comes up with the recommended numbers, but it's telling me that 2 qts of sparge (versus 3.5 qts mash) is sufficient for 2.5 lbs of grain.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:27 PM   #509
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

I would use at least 3 quarts of water for your mash. The enzymes work best at a certain temperature and volumes, and the common thought is that 1.25-2 quarts per pound of grain is best.

I used to ALWAYS use 1.25qt/lb when I mashed. Lately I've been using a higher ratio (1.5-1.6 qt/lb) of water and I've gotten better efficiency and a smoother mash.

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 06-11-2009, 07:29 PM   #510
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelshopMcgee View Post
oh no no..That wasnt my ratio this is just what I have sitting in the cupboard!

the ratio I was going to use is up a few posts

1.0 lb Carawheat®
2.0 lb Dark Wheat Malt
2.0 lb Munich 10L Malt
3.0 lb Dry Wheat

so what about subbing .5 lb from each the munich and the dark wheat and then adding in 1 lb of the pale malt?

or as an alternative subbing 1 lb from each the munich and dark wheat and respectively adding 1lb of White Wheat (Rahr)- 1 lb for the dark wheat and 1 lb of pale malt to sub for the munich 10L? Its cheap stuff so I really dont mind buying a few more I just want to make sure this comes out right.

Im going to make a new post to get some info without cluttering up your post. I dont want to threadjack
Either of those would work. Your second example would absolutely ENSURE that you have enough enzymes to tackle the job.

And now worries about the threadjack. This thread was made strictly for the purpose of asking and answering questions on easy partial mashing.

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Tags
partial mash