Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics)

Old 05-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #481
Jeffo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Although I've read the whole thread in the past, I can't remember if these questions were asked:

-Does it matter if you pour the mash wort into the sparge water or vice versa?

-Why do you prefer DME? (Maybe that's for other threads but I was interested in your opinion.) I was surprised how expensive it is, even though a little less is needed.

Thanks.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #482
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 129 Posts

DME mixes well and doesn't scourch like LME, but mainly it's the convenience of storage.

I actually prefer the Wheat LME from briess over their DME. It tastes awesome...I think maybe because it carmelizes a bit during the boil? I dunno...

You are supposed to pour the wort into the sparge using this method. It's either that, or boil them in separate pots.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 05-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #483
brad97z
Recipes 

Deatherbrewer, thanks for the write up! Gave this a shot yesterday and it worked out great.

If you were to do a full 5 gallon boil recipe, how would you use the extra water? In the sparging pot?

I have a large colander and was curious, after sparging, would there be a benefit in efficiency to running some additional hot water over the grains until the water for the boil was topped off?

Old 05-17-2009, 07:07 PM   #484
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Yes, you would use extra water in the sparge pot and some additional water poured over the top will increase efficiency. I wouldn't do too much, tho, you can oversparge and extract tannins from the grains. Maybe gallon poured over after dunking, the rest in the sparge pot. There may be some additional info in my Stovetop All-Grain Brewing thread.

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 05-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #485
Killer_Robot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks, DeathBrewer, you inspired me to get some more equipment and make my upcoming batches a partial-mash 5 gallon and an all grain 2.5. My poor wallet....but thanks to your help I realized most of this was stuff I wanted for doing larger extract boils. Now, I just hope my apartment stove can keep up.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #486
BADS197
Recipes 

I'm going to make the jump this weekend on a partial mash based off your instructions.

I'm going to aim for 6.5-7 gallons of wort to boil down to 5 so hopefully i'll have a good 5 gallons when I'm done.

Thanks!

Bottled
Pumpkin Ale
Faw-Kin Hevy Scotch Ale
Slam Dunkelweizen
GPC American Ale
Not-October Octoberfest Ale

Primary
English Pale Ale
Secondary

Keg
#1 2.5g - Faw-kin Hevy Scotch Ale
#2 2.5g - Nut Brown Ale

Next
American Amber
English Pale

Old 05-27-2009, 10:54 PM   #487
bgough
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey Db.

I was wondering if it would be possible to do a protein rest at 122 for my witbier using your stovetop method.

If so, should I add boiling water to get up to mashing temp afterwards, or use direct heat while stirring?

Old 05-28-2009, 12:32 AM   #488
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Direct heat is difficult with an electric burner, but may be possible with a gas flame. Just remember that it will rise a few degrees after you turn the heat off.

I personally would go for an infusion mash for your first time...direct heat can be tough with a small volume on stovetop. Go for a thick ratio, so that you don't have to add too much water to get to temp.

Or, even better, use a decoction mash. I love doing a decoction and have never had trouble hitting my temps.

Promash can help determine your steps and how much to add. So can beersmith and many online calculators.

I can't go home for a few hours, but you're making me want to brew. I might actually have to do an extract batch tonight

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 05-29-2009, 09:36 PM   #489
uabericm
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Awesome write up. I am trying to verify what I have read. I just purchased a few kits from AHB (mini-mash) and was going to follow your steps.

The Nut Brown I have only has 2.5lbs of grains to mash, so then would I only need 3.125 quarts of water? Sure doesn't seem like enough? And then how much do I boil in the sparge pot?

Another homemade recipe nut brown kit has 4.5lbs of grains, so I would need 5.625 quarts of water? And how much sparge water?

Old 06-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #490
Nubandit
Recipes 

Default Need for starter?

Deathbrewer, awesome how to!!

I am new to brewing and this site so please bear with me. I have not had the pleasure of a first brew yet, however I have read every comment on all 49 pages of this thread and I was hoping that someone could give me some guidance about the process of adding yeast before I begin. I have heard people on other threads talk about using a starter and seen some recipe using brown sugar/corn syrup added with the yeast.

Deathbrewer, could you please clarify the process about adding the yeast. Specifically the need for a starter or adding any sugars. I would love to brew your Dunkelweizen and Hefeweizens recipe that you listed but I dont want to miss some obviously simple step. Thanks!

Tags
partial mash