Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics) - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics)
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 08-06-2008, 03:37 AM   #11
drunkatuw
Recipes 

Jul 2007
Rochester, MN
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You beat me to it Bobby, I was going to say "Step 10: Get your hair cut!"

wilberfoss Likes This 
Old 08-06-2008, 03:50 AM   #12
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Columbus WI
Liked 41 Times on 34 Posts

Hey - I love the hair! if he was fat would you comment on how fat he was? What's the difference .

145 batches and counting

West Coast Blaster #4 almost go and on tap and a Dbl Chocolate Stout aging/carbing. Brewing East India Porter #4

People Like This 
Old 08-06-2008, 04:01 AM   #13
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1586 Times on 1023 Posts

Chillax dude, I'm sure deathbrewer can handle a good natured ribbing on his socially rebellious fashion statement.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Columbus WI

I'm not sure what kind of mood I was in last night. I knew lots of kidding was going on but for some reason since I had . . . odd hair . . .(frizzy afro thing in my youth) I felt the need to defend.

I think I was having a flash back from the 70s LOL

145 batches and counting

West Coast Blaster #4 almost go and on tap and a Dbl Chocolate Stout aging/carbing. Brewing East India Porter #4

wilberfoss Likes This 
Old 08-06-2008, 11:47 AM   #15
oberon567
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Cambridge, MA
Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

The only critique/comment I might add is that there may be a benefit, and maybe even 5% mash efficiency or so, in leaving your grain bag in the sparge kettle for 10 - 15 minutes, giving it a few stirs, and then tea bagging for a few minutes....

Old 08-06-2008, 01:26 PM   #16
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Oct 2007
South Florida
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wicked-Sick write up! You should definately keep rockin' your man mane . I'm sure with this write-up many extract brewers will "cut their cord" and soon venture to AG.
Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 08-06-2008, 02:09 PM   #17
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Oakland, CA
Liked 259 Times on 132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon567 View Post
The only critique/comment I might add is that there may be a benefit, and maybe even 5% mash efficiency or so, in leaving your grain bag in the sparge kettle for 10 - 15 minutes, giving it a few stirs, and then tea bagging for a few minutes....
good point...I think this would definitely help with efficiency. as i said, i'm always trying to speed the process up, not necessarily save money. i may try this in the future, tho. if i can get upwards of 75% efficiency, it would be worth it, especially since that is what i get on my AG setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Chillax dude, I'm sure deathbrewer can handle a good natured ribbing on his socially rebellious fashion statement.
i'm deeply hurt and offended, j/k

let's get things straight, tho...i'm no hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
Why so slow on the cold break. Why not add the ice right off the bat. I can get from 212 to 110 in 15 minutes with ice water - then delute with 35 degree water to get to 65 degrees.
i find if i do this, i waste all my ice (i only use the 3 trays) and i end up having to drain the water several more times and it takes longer. the water i use to dilute is about 55F. i would probably use boiled water and stick it in the freezer, if it wasn't full of hops

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 08-06-2008, 03:40 PM   #18
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Columbus WI

Quote:
i find if i do this, i waste all my ice (i only use the 3 trays) and i end up having to drain the water several more times and it takes longer.
AHH - I forgot what it's like to be a NOT be a hippie and NOT have a big ass freezer!!

The weird thing about getting older - your brain tells you you are NOT getting older . . . it's your body that is telling you that a 54 year old will feel more pain after playing Ultimate Frisbee then a 25 year old.

OK - sorry - OT!!

145 batches and counting

Old 08-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #19
Rezilynt
Recipes 

Apr 2008
Bellingham, Washington
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

DB - Thanks for taking the time to do this. It has cleared up some questions I had and helped a great deal!

Old 08-06-2008, 04:15 PM   #20
blacklab

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Portland, ME
Liked 48 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post

By the way...proof:
Umm...that pic friggin' rocks! Bobby, you need to use it on a label.

Poodle Hair Porter?