Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics)

Old 03-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #1441
tx-brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD1 View Post
Thank you for this! I already used this method and it worked great! I have dumb newbie question though, will this work for all grain as well?
Of course. I have been doing 3.5 gal batches this way. Only.thing is you have to have a pot big enough if you want to do full boils

Old 03-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #1442
jkendrick
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

So is kettle size limitations the only reason someone would do PM vs. AG using this method?

Old 03-21-2013, 03:08 AM   #1443
tx-brewer
Recipes 

I'm still early in my brewing days, but i think think you can do ag and add water post boil but it is not recommended. So to your question I would answer that yes, the only variable would be kettle size.

Pm and ag are essentially the same thing except with partial you add lme or dme and usually add water at the end. Ag you do not add lme or dme and generally do not add water at the end.

Adding water post boil can affect your use of hops and your original gravity. So if you do pm either use a recipe made for that, or use a brewing software to be able to account for hop usage and gravity.

Just search around and do a lot of reading, it can be overwhelming at first but its really no big deal once you figure it out.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong

Old 03-21-2013, 03:33 AM   #1444
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You pretty much have it but don't let the naysayers keep you from brewing 3 gallons of high grav wort and top off your fermenter with water like you do extract batches. I have done it, Revvy's done it, and a whole $h!tload of other brewers have done it. And it makes damn fine beer too!

Sure, it is preferable to do full boils. Lots of things I do now are better practice than what I did when I started. But if you don't have the gear yet what the hell are you supposed to do? Stick with extract until you can afford the big kettle? No way! I made a ton of great beer with what I had on hand, learned a lot about what works and what doesn't, and had a MUCH better idea of what I wanted when it was time to upgrade equipment. Brew what you like with what you have. Rant over!
Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Old 03-21-2013, 04:49 AM   #1445
tx-brewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANSTAAFB View Post
You pretty much have it but don't let the naysayers keep you from brewing 3 gallons of high grav wort and top off your fermenter with water like you do extract batches. I have done it, Revvy's done it, and a whole $h!tload of other brewers have done it. And it makes damn fine beer too!

Sure, it is preferable to do full boils. Lots of things I do now are better practice than what I did when I started. But if you don't have the gear yet what the hell are you supposed to do? Stick with extract until you can afford the big kettle? No way! I made a ton of great beer with what I had on hand, learned a lot about what works and what doesn't, and had a MUCH better idea of what I wanted when it was time to upgrade equipment. Brew what you like with what you have. Rant over!
I wasn't naysaying, just telling my experience. I suggested it doing smaller ag because it allows you to learn the process with less risk of larger batches, and eliminates having to compensate of hop utilization and other things that can create more things to think about in a situation that you are trying to learn and grasp the ideas.

Had a few beers, sorry for the poor grammer. Isn't that what this is all about though, haha

Old 03-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #1446
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You make good points my friend. And I wasn't calling you a naysayer for suggesting that folks work smaller and within the confines of their equipment as they learn. But there are plenty of folks out there who will make statements regarding what you can and can't do and still make good beer and much of it is so much bull$h!t! Cheers!
Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Old 03-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #1447
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

I've done 4 partial boil/partial mash BIAB's with my 5G SS BK/MT. The same equipement I've used since my 2nd or 3rd batch. The only thing I added was a 5G paint strainer bag for the mash. I mash 5lbs of grain in 2 gallons of water & sparge with 1.5 gallons. This gives 3.5 gallons of fresh wort that I do all hop additions with. Then add 3-3.3lbs of extract at the end. Makes good beer,but I had to get some super moss (5 star) to get it clearer next batch. I get lighter colors & clean flavor this way.
So if you have a 5 gallon (20 QT) pot,you can do it easilly.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:36 AM   #1448
Zoidberg
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I basically do this method. I do Partial mashes with somewhere around 3-4lbs of grain for a 3.5 gallon batch. I could do AG but only do 2.5gallon boil since I don't have a wort chiller and adding near frozen distilled water is my best method to cool so far. When I add a decent amount of water for mashing and a sparging at the end it ends up being too much water for a partial boil. I use Beersmith and adjust bittering hops according to pre-boil og to match IBUs.

I've gotten 75% efficiency measured every step of the way on my latest brew this morning of a Centennial IPA.

My only addition in what I do, which may have already been though of or discussed, is I put the kettle in my oven preheated around 154. I only pull out to confirm temp holding and to stir it a bit. I sparge by hopefully having a friend hold the grain bag while I pour 2quarts per lbs of grain at 168F over it into my fermenting bucket, then strained back into the kettle to remove any grain debris.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #1449
jenkinsw
Recipes 

Great writeup and pics! I'm just about to bottle my first partial batch, partially thanks to your input!
I did modify the steps a little and used snow instead of ice to chill my wort - gotta use what is available!

Old 03-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #1450
Zoidberg
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I just tried my first batch does this way. My first partial grain recipe. I did a variation on BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde. I cracked the first one last night and it was by far the best beer I've made.

Tags
partial mash