Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics)

Old 02-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #1411
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2968 Times on 2562 Posts
Likes Given: 2099

The beauty of partial mash is that you mash as much as your system will allow. Then add extract to get to your OG.
I had trouble maintaining mash temps the first 2 PM batches trying to do it on the stove. Then I got the bright idea to use my thinsulate lined winter hunting coat. I get the mash water up to about 150F,then put in the paint strainer bag in & pour in the crushed grains,usually 5lbs in 2G of water. Stir with my plastic paddle to break up dough balls,& get the grains evenly wetted. Then off the heat & onto the inside back of the hunting coat,lid on & floating thermometer inside.
Flop the hood over the lid,wrap around the coats' sides,& tie the sleeves around that for the 1 hour mash. Put the 3 or 4 gallon SS stock pot on the same burner to heat about 1.5 gallons of sparge water to about 165F. When the mash is done in my 5G SS BK/MT,I pull the grain bag & set it in a SS collander on top of the BK/MT to drain. Then sparge to get total boil volume of 3.5 gallons in said 5 gallon kettle. Since my PM's mash makes up some 50% of the fermentables,I use that for the boil's hop additions & ad the extract as a late addition at flame out. The burner for the boil is on 8.5 (electric stove) with aftermarket burners. Less boil off this way than on 9 or "HI". But it still gets a nice,even rolling boil. Just not as violent.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:12 AM   #1412
tx-brewer
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 16

You should boil on 11

pizzachef Likes This 
Old 02-28-2013, 02:26 AM   #1413
MDBrew69
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Awesome post - thanks for the detailed instructions! I just started home brewing and have made two pretty successful batches from LME kits. I'd eventually like to move up to all-grain brewing, so the partial mash method will be a great intermediate step for me.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #1414
smetana1986
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDBrew69 View Post
Awesome post - thanks for the detailed instructions! I just started home brewing and have made two pretty successful batches from LME kits. I'd eventually like to move up to all-grain brewing, so the partial mash method will be a great intermediate step for me.
thats what I was thinking. I also just found out one of my LHBS is starting to offer BIAB classes in addition to their other offerings.

I think partial mash and BIAB is getting more popular.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #1415
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

Liked 2968 Times on 2562 Posts
Likes Given: 2099

It def works well,& the insulated hunting coat holds temps so well that I acctually gain 1 degree,rather than loosing 5-12 degrees on the stove. I also like how partial mash gives some freedom to try various grains for more flavor complexity & tweaking the color.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #1416
Lakesidebrew
Recipes 

I did my first BIAB last week (7 days ago) and it is a honey ale with 6 lbs of grain and 3 lbs of honey!

I'm brewing it for Memorial Day party etc...

However I've never used honey in a brew or White Labs 0001 before and of course I've never seen a fermentation look anything like this yet!

Possibly it's due to my lack of experience ( 11 batches so far )... But this looks like I'm making cottage cheese.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2249997169.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	104741  

Old 03-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #1417
Sir-Hops-A-Lot
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I am brewing my first partial using Deathbrewer's tutorial. I have little babies so things have not went as planned. I'm doing Papazian's Top Drop Pilsner.
I think I heated the grains too high and the water was just getting starchy. It was late last night so I just turned off the stove, covered the pot and slept. In the morning I had a lovely sweet wort. Tastes like honey.
I am late getting my Wyeast into an intermittent shake starter. It won't be ready until tonight. I have time to brew the rest of the recipe now while the babies are sleeping. Is it okay to brew and then add the yeast hours later?
thanks in advance.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #1418
Lakesidebrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir-Hops-A-Lot View Post
Is it okay to brew and then add the yeast hours later?
thanks in advance.
You just run a higher chance of getting an infection in your batch if there is already some wild yeast or bacteria. There is nothing to dominate the Wort so they have a better chance of getting a foothold.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #1419
Sir-Hops-A-Lot
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts

that makes sense
thanks

Old 03-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #1420
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 93 Posts

Ideally you would pitch right away but there are certainly times that I'll pitch the next day. Sometimes I save wort from a batch to make the starter and try to keep the batch covered, sanitary, and as cold as possible. RDWHAAHB!!!

Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Tags
partial mash