Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics)

Old 01-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #1381
borden
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nianticcardplayer View Post
Read this entire thread and have been using the bag method of partial mash brewing for some time. I am looking to go all grain but I just can't pull that trigger of 200+ dollars for two coolers with fittings.
You've seen this thread, haven't you?

Easy Stovetop All-Grain Brewing (with pics)

I went all-grain a year and a half ago and only had to buy a $25 7.5 gal aluminum pot and a custom BIAB bag (and that was optional!).

Old 01-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #1382
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardMNixon View Post
Thanks for the guide! This seemed like a pretty effortless step up from steeping/extract so I gave it a shot.

I've tried this twice now but mine doesn't quite look like this (I should have taken a picture but never did). I use the same ratio of water to grains but it doesn't seem to be enough water to cover them. I don't have grains floating in water like that, I have a tiny island of grain poking out of the water that I'm worried isn't converting well. Is my bag too narrow? My brewpot(/mash tun) too wide? Or is there something stupid I'm doing wrong?

Since no one else has replied to you I'll throw my tuppence ha'penerth in.

I'd have thought, with a name like that, you were synonymous with water and gates and stuff

Sounds like you're already realizing what the problem might be. Going by what you mentioned:

IF your bag is considerably narrower than your brew kettle then that could lead to the grains not getting sufficient contact and rinsing. Might actually be more beneficial to have a bag that is bigger than the kettle and take up slack using clips around the pot. That would allow the grain to take up a larger surface area, requiring a lower level of water to fully soak the grains.

Absolute best situation would be to have a bag that fits, exactly, your kettle.

If you post a pic or two, to better illustrate your situation, I'm sure someone will be able to offer the right advice.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #1383
Xanatos903
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Sounds to me like his pot is too wide. I had the same problem with my first partial mash, and solved it by splitting the grains into two bags. Even the "large" muslin bags don't stretch enough to cover the bottom of my pot, so I've got some still above the water line.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #1384
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1159 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 608

Quote:
Originally Posted by nianticcardplayer View Post
Read this entire thread and have been using the bag method of partial mash brewing for some time. I am looking to go all grain but I just can't pull that trigger of 200+ dollars for two coolers with fittings. I generally after the mash run a 3 gallon boil and add my water to the pot during the cool down....I do boil my water and let it cool for a couple of days that will be my top off.....
Maybe you need to do this in smaller steps? Try using more base grains and less extract for your next brew. It's still a partial mash, right. Next time use more grains and less extract yet. It's still a partial mash but you are getting closer to all grain. When you get to the point that you are only using a teaspoon of extract and the rest grain, youi're still partial mashing, but you'll be only one teaspoon away from all grain. Sounds easy, doesn't it. I skipped some of the steps along the way and used my 5 gallon pot and a paint strainer to do 2 1/2 gallon batches to see how it was done and if I wanted to go to 5 gallon batches. Now I have a turkey fryer pot 7 1/2 gallon and mash in that for a 5 gallon batch, sometimes no sparge, sometimes a modified sparge to hit my preboil. Works fine.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #1385
RichardMNixon
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogri View Post
Absolute best situation would be to have a bag that fits, exactly, your kettle.
That seemed to do the trick, thanks for the confirmation. Picked up a 2.5 gal ceramic pot to use for the mash instead of my 6.5 gal brewpot.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #1386
Malty_Dog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 144

A HUUUGE "THANK YOU" to DeathBrewer and all other contributors for this thread. You were with me every step of the way for my first ever partial mash, which went swimmingly and resulted in a tasty wort with a perfect OG.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:19 AM   #1387
catfishunter
Recipes 

I just tried my first partial mash after attemping two extract brews that turned out pretty well. I am kind of worried because my OG was around 1.042. I did some researching and apparently this is low for a german pilsner. I was shooting for around 5 to 5.5%. Is there anything i can do to raise it or is this an acceptable reading?

Old 02-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #1388
carlk47
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So I've completed my 2nd partial mash recipe this weekend and my fermenter is bubbling away like crazy! Think I did a much better job aerating this batch. It's definitely much more fun and challenging to do PM over all-extract for sure but well worth the extra effort. Funny thing is my effeciency has been 83% and 85%.. not sure how I am hitting those but curious to see if I keep hitting those going forward. I'm using a 3 gal Igloo cooler as a mash tun and it holds temps within 2 degrees over an hour.. very happy with that! Oh yes.. and Beersmith is VERY helpful in calculating recipes.. awesome!

Thanks Deathbrewer for the great instructions and everyone who has posted and replied on this thread!

Old 02-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #1389
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishunter View Post
I just tried my first partial mash after attemping two extract brews that turned out pretty well. I am kind of worried because my OG was around 1.042. I did some researching and apparently this is low for a german pilsner. I was shooting for around 5 to 5.5%. Is there anything i can do to raise it or is this an acceptable reading?
Probably best to just roll with what you have. It could well attenuate out to a suitably low Final Gravity and give you something close to your target of 5 to 5.5% but even if it doesn't it'll still be beer.

Having said that, additions of sugar/sugar syrup to primary is a pretty common practice with some Belgian ales. If you have a search around you might get some useful ideas.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #1390
catfishunter
Recipes 

Ok. Thanks. I actually just added a little less than a pound of sugar to it. I realized that when i filled my fermenter i added to much water and was a little over 5.5 gallons which would explain why my OG was so low i guess. Stupid mistake. Ya well i think it should turn out ok.

Tags
partial mash