Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Homebrew Tastes

Old 08-05-2008, 05:48 AM   #1
dcott
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default First Homebrew Tastes

Hey everyone. I'm a total n00b who has been bitten hard by the homebrewing bug. I've been reading a ton and currently have my second batch finishing up primary fermentation.

I bottled my first batch about 2 weeks ago and have tasted several bottles. Some are quite tasty, however some seem slightly off. I'm not sure what the offness is, and it seems strange to me that this would occur in some bottles and not others, considering I had the same sanitation procedures for all the bottles. Could it be that they are just bottle conditioning at different rates, or something else.

Either way it's all totally drinkable, I was just curious as to why the variations.

Thanks!

Old 08-05-2008, 05:51 AM   #2
dcott
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Also, do different sized bottles condition beer at different rates (i.e. 12 oz vs. 22oz?)

Old 08-05-2008, 05:53 AM   #3
Tankard
Recipes 

2 weeks is too soon. 3 weeks minimum for bottles. 4 weeks is even better.

I had the same problem with my last extract batch. Some tasted fine, were well carbed, while others were "off" and were not carbed as well. I think aging is the cure for this problem.

a 12 oz should age just as quick as a 22 oz. The 12 oz will have less priming sugar while a 22 oz will have more. However, when the volumes are taken into account, there should be very little difference between the two.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:53 AM   #4
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Yes. They will condition at different rates. You are most likely tasting what we all call "green" beer. Let it sit for a couple more weeks. You won't be disappointed. Letting the beer have time to sit is the best thing you can do for it.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:56 AM   #5
Grinder12000
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would think that just like wine bottle size is very important - why would beer be different then wine when it comes to bottle aging.

138 batches and counting

European IPA bottled, One Putt 12 IPA carbing. East Indian Porter on tap. Looking into a Saffon Beer

Old 08-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2855 Times on 1690 Posts
Likes Given: 3507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankard View Post

a 12 oz should age just as quick as a 22 oz. The 12 oz will have less priming sugar while a 22 oz will have more. However, when the volumes are taken into account, there should be very little difference between the two.
Wrong....Larger volumes of beer take longer to carb and condition...I usually bottle at least one 6 pack of 12 ounces for competition alongside whatever else I'm bottling in (usually pints and 22's.)

The 12's are usually carbed by three weeks, while the pints and 22 usually need 4-6 weeks.

We are dealing with living yeasts here, and they take longer to process a larger volume of liquid. This isn't an inorganic simple mixing of priming sugar like making koolaid, it is a life cycle, remember.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-15-2008, 06:28 AM   #7
dcott
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

All, thanks for the reply (this was my first post and first batch). Ten days later (3.5 weeks total in bottle) I re-tasted, and must say everything is vastly improved. Thanks for the advice!