Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Quick fermentation question

Old 08-04-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
abbeyroadhelp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Quick fermentation question

I made a cyser six months ago, about three months ago when I last racked it the hydrometer read .0990 and it has completly cleared out. My problem is my airlock keeps poppin I dont know if fermentation is still dragging on or it just needs to be degassed. Is this normal. Thank in advance

Old 08-04-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1694 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 4256

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbeyroadhelp View Post
I made a cyser six months ago, about three months ago when I last racked it the hydrometer read .0990 and it has completly cleared out. My problem is my airlock keeps poppin I dont know if fermentation is still dragging on or it just needs to be degassed. Is this normal. Thank in advance
Hi abbeyroadhelp: If you mean your airlock is still bubbling, it could be from natural degassing due to movement of the liquid, or from temperature fluctuations; I've found that 3 gallon glass carbouys are really bad when it comes to temperature variations & pressure differentials. I had one once that kept pushing out the solid stopper I tried to keep on it. I just swirled it around, made sure that both the stopper & the inside of the carbouy neck were dry, and then stoppered it; haven't had any problems with it since. Hope you find this info useful, GF.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:48 AM   #3
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You are done fermenting...at .990 you can't get a lot lower. I'd rack off of the lees (If you haven't done so already) then bulk age in secondary for another 3 months, then bottle. At 1 year, you'll be right where you want to be with your Cyser.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
abbeyroadhelp
Recipes 

Thank you guys for all your help it is very appreciated