Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > 12 Hour drive with fermenter!?

Old 08-04-2008, 12:57 PM   #1
NoNothing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 12 Hour drive with fermenter!?

Im going to (possibly) starting my first batch in a few days here. The problem lies in that in 3 weeks I need to move back to school, which is a 12 hour drive from me right now.

Will I be doing any damage to the fermenting beer if I drive it through 12 hours of vibrations, stopping, starting and all that steering involved with driving?

I can try to pad the carboy as much as possible while Im moving it but there is only so much I can do. The car itself doesnt have the greatest shocks either.

Or would I be better off trying to resist making my first batch and wait untill Ive moved to start my brew. Or even remove the fermenting brew early and wait longer on the bottles?

Old 08-04-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
mtbaesl
Recipes 

Well, I would think that you are going to be sloshing the beer around quite a bit, especially over 12 hours. This could lead to some oxidation which would have a negative impact on your beer. You woould also have to try to keep the beer from having a lot of temp changes. If it was me, I think I'd wait. But you cuold still brew it now and have good beer even with the travel. The other question is when are you leaving, if you have 2-3 weeks before you go, you should be able to get it bottled before you go. Hope this helps, good luck!

Old 08-04-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
mtbaesl
Recipes 

Now I see you are moving in 3 weeks, if you get on the brewing soon, and bottle right before you leave, I think you could get it done. You may be too busy with the move though. Just check S.G. for 3 days in a row before you bottle, if it is the same...bottle it, if not, wait. You don't want to bottle before fermentation is done.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I vote for 2.5 week in the primary then bottle before moving.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
NoNothing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Awesome, thanks for the quick replys.

I will be brewing once my equipment comes in (shipped today from Northern Brewer). Sounds like Im going to brew it up (YAY!!!) and keep an eye on my gravity and if Im good for bottling Ill do that, if not Ill be careful transporting it.

Anyone know if beer in a fermenter counts as open alcohol!?

Old 08-04-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
Choguy03
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would wait. On your first brew you want to take you time and not rush it. Why waste your time and money only to have a crappy product? I would wait, it will be worth it.

:Fermentation Cabinet:

Primary: Bee Cave Bavarian Hefe
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing
On Deck: Gumball Head Clone (Jekster)

Old 08-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
mtbaesl
Recipes 

Quote:
Anyone know if beer in a fermenter counts as open alcohol!?
Only if there is a large straw in it! Seriously though, I have no clue.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:01 PM   #8
NoNothing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had a discussion with my Step-dad, who was a cop, and my mom, who is a lawyer, about transporting fermenting beer seeing if the airlock counted as "closed" and legal for transportation.

At first my step-dad said it would be illegal but no-one in a good mood would do anything about it. But then I pulled up this quote from Michigans website:

A person shall not transport or possess alcoholic liquor in a container that is open or uncapped or upon which the seal is broken within the passenger compartment of a vehicle upon a highway or other place open to the general public or generally accessible to motor vehicles, including an area designated for the parking of vehicles, within this state.
from: http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...5874--,00.html

And I remembered the "seal" on a growler is simply a sticker on the screw cap. We discussed if the air-lock counted as a seal since it technicly does seal away from the beer. It could be a seal, but could easily be removed/replaced and alcohol consumed. But if a sticker were placed from the glass carboy over the stopper and airlock it could be counted as "sealed" I propose to take a picture of the seal (digital time stamp FTW) so if any suspicion does arise I can prove the seal has been on since the trip began (and liquid level has not changed)

Old 08-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
RommelMagic
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNothing View Post
I propose to take a picture of the seal (digital time stamp FTW) so if any suspicion does arise I can prove the seal has been on since the trip began (and liquid level has not changed)
A time/date stamp can be easily manipulated. What you could do is take some real photos, mail them to yourself and don't open them until they are actually needed. That's what my wife & I did when we rented an apartment and when we were leaving the landlord tried to get us to pay for crap that was broken when we moved in. It was great, the judge seemed impressed and our landlord was so pissed .

But in your instance, I'd either wait til you get to school or brew it up and bottle ASAP once fermentation is complete. If a cop wants to be a prick he could make you dump the whole thing from a carboy.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:19 PM   #10
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3025 Times on 2974 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I am not necessarily trying to answer this question but more or less making a new one. How could the beer sloshing around in the carboy cause oxygenation. In order for it to oxygenate wouldnt there need to be oxygen present. As long as it had already atleast started fermentation there wouldnt be any oxygen and it would all be co2, so how could it get oxygenated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong