Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Double-W Imperial Stout

Old 02-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #261
Brewrifle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterranger View Post
First off I want to thank r2eng for the recipe. I was shopping for recipes early December 2012 and landed on this thread after a search for an imperial stout.

I ended up brewing up a 6 gallon batch on Christmas Eve and hit 1.113 OG. After 3 weeks in primary a 1.030 FG was read and I racked it onto 600 mL cold brewed coffee into a Balcones Blue Corn Whiskey barrel and let it secondary for 26 days.

Let me say...wow WOW wow. Thick mouth feel, some residual sweetness, chocolate, oak, vanilla. The alcohol is hidden in this complex brew. I will be definitely be brewing this one again.
I'm going to be racking this into the Balcones 5 gallon barrel as well. Would you leave it in more/less than 26 days having aged 1 batch so far? I was thinking 2 weeks minimum and maybe 3 weeks maximum, but not sure after your comments. I'm looking for the vanilla and smoothness of the whiskey barrel, not so much the tannins and harshness of the oak.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:35 AM   #262
misterranger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewrifle

I'm going to be racking this into the Balcones 5 gallon barrel as well. Would you leave it in more/less than 26 days having aged 1 batch so far? I was thinking 2 weeks minimum and maybe 3 weeks maximum, but not sure after your comments. I'm looking for the vanilla and smoothness of the whiskey barrel, not so much the tannins and harshness of the oak.
With my limited experience in barrel aging, I would say to start at 21 days as that is what I have heard is the going time to age. I definitely had some whiskey flavor at 21 days, but wanted a bit more toasted wood and vanilla flavor. I did not get any tannins or harshness, and at the point I pulled it I also wanted to preserve my barrel for another use. My barrel was completely dry when I received it and it was fairly fresh. I am not sure how your barrel was/is but it could also determine how long your beer should be in it.

A suggestion I would make is for drawing samples from the barrel by drilling a hole in the bottom 1/3 of the head of the barrel and putting in a 15 gauge stainless steel nail in the hole. I drilled my hole in the upper 1/3 and the sample just leaked out instead (not enough pressure). This is all done to reduce O2 exposure by pulling the bung.

BTW, if you feel that you want to drill a hole and use a nail, PM me your address and I'll send you a couple. I had to buy a pound of them.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #263
Rossputin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossputin View Post
We brewed this up yesterday, biggest batch we've done to date but we love a challenge. The plan is to have this ready and drinkable by October...if I can wait that long.
Changes we had to make are:
- delete 0.5lb of dark chocolate malt (LHBS did not have).
- substitute 2oz Nugget for Warrior (again, LHBS did not have).
The first runnings were SO dark, incredible. Our preboil gravity hit 1.090 at about 6.4gal and we managed to get our OG to 1.110 with about 5.5gal in the primary.
Checked our gravity this past weekend, currently sitting at 1.042 which puts us at a whopping 9.45% ABV (10.7% adjusted). Tastes amazing, thank you for the recipe.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #264
Bombeque
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So I was thinking of taking this recipe and using it as a base for a DogFish Head World Wide Stout. My plan is to only up the bittering hops a bit. I would use the 05 for the yeast until it starts to slow and then start a few dextrose additions to get the abv up to around 18-20% using a big 099 starter. Any suggestions for doing this?? There is only one WWS clone out there and its extract using dark DME. I would rather do an all grain with a tried and true recipe

Old 03-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #265
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 264 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I've attempted this exactly. Posted the idea within the 120 thread and didn't get much feedback. There, they were adding like a lb a day of dextrose. Mine went much slower. I did a 1L starter of 099, bumped to 2L, bumped to 6L and it ate at a rate of about 8oz per 3 days.

My OG was 1.12, SG of 1.029 when pitched the 099. I got through about 4 of the 8 lbs of sugar before a called it quits at a SG of 1.034. I would have to check my notes, but I think I had an adjusted OG of 1.156. And with 16oz of bourbon, it has an ABV of right at 17% .Just over 3 months old and racking to trietiary this week. I'm going for more of a Bruery Chocolate rain. If you want to start a separate thread on this, I'd love to hear your plan as I'd like to try this again some day.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:20 AM   #266
Bombeque
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Wow, great to know someone else tried it! I have made the 120 before with great results. I had a sg of 1.176 and a fg of 1.016. I can attest to that beer eating through some dextrose. Anyway Ill probably do exactly as I did with that beer. I cant see why it would be slower, but who knows. When it comes to feeding beer, anything goes. I think I made a 2 gallon starter of 002 and then another 2 gallon of the 099. It was a massive amount of yeast but damn if it didnt eat through a daily dose of 12-14 oz of sugar in 12 hours!! I will start a new thread on this and please keep me up to date on yours!

Old 03-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #267
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 264 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 24

You motivated me to rack my Chocolate Rain wannabe to a keg. Standing at 1.032. After 16oz of bourbon is added, it comes out to 16.5% with an adjusted OG of 1.152. I think it's too sweet and threw in a packet Ec-1118 to see if I get lucky. I'd like it closer to 1.028.

Be sure to post the link of the new thread so I can subscribe and we stop hijacking this one.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #268
updog
Recipes 

I was thinking about making this. I already have 12 pounds of MO but there is a pound of crystal 20 mixed in it. Should I keep that for the ipa I was gonna do or just add 10 more pounds of MO and follow the rest of the recipe like the crystal wasn't there?

Old 04-08-2013, 05:53 AM   #269
updog
Recipes 

Brewed today. gravity of 1.122 and made a small stout with the leftovers that had og of 1.055. Im really looking forward to this beer, biggest beer I've done so far

Old 08-15-2013, 12:36 AM   #270
r2eng
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Cool! Been away for awhile, and glad to see others are making it their own.

Drinking one now, aged 2 years with the upped 100+IBU's. I love my children, but this beer at 2 years is coming in a close second. Two boys in HS, so I view this beer as the daughter I never had.