Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > BIG Joe Willams' Sloppy Drunk Mild Ale

Old 08-01-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
MVKTR2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default BIG Joe Willams' Sloppy Drunk Mild Ale

This is my label for a mild I've got in primary right now. Not the greatest pic or rendering I've ever done, but I like the layout alot as it's reminiscent of alot of old style album covers.

Schlante,
Phillip

Old 08-02-2008, 12:53 AM   #2
MVKTR2
Recipes 

I was in a hurry trying to get out of work and forgot to tell ya about Big Joe. Anyone truely interested can google him and I'm sure most of the blues fans already know him. I'll just say he's amazing. A bluesman in everysense of the word. My favorite Big Joe CD is "Piney Wood Blues" (think that's it, I know it's piney woods something). For some time I've kept a running tally of what I think are the greatest songs of all times. Baby Please Don't Go makes my top 3 and no one played or sang it better than Big Joe Williams.

This Mild Ale is named after another of Big Joe's more popular recordings. "I'd rather be sloppy drunk baby than any way I know" the main part of the corus. "Give me another half a pint baby and Big Joe's gonna wreck this whole joint" is a memorable line.

As for the bier it's an exact copy of Jamil Zanisheff's Mild Ale recipe from thebrewingnetwork.com.

What do yall think of the label? Any Big Joe Williams fans? I'm thinking Blind Lemon Lars has to be...

Schlante,
Phillip

Old 08-02-2008, 04:03 AM   #3
polarbearbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

looks great!

i love a beer with a little history lol

Old 08-02-2008, 04:09 AM   #4
batches_brew
Recipes 

Great concept. Combines my passion for good music and good beer.
On Deck: Hefeweizen, ABA, Robust Porter

Old 08-04-2008, 02:59 PM   #5
GearBeer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Looks great. I can always appreciate a tribute brew.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbearbrewing View Post
looks great!
i love a beer with a little history lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by batches_brew View Post
Great concept. Combines my passion for good music and good beer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBeer View Post
Looks great. I can always appreciate a tribute brew.
Going back just 5 years or so I was ALL into the blues, still am/it's still my favorite form of music by far, but with a 2nd child and other pursuits I've stepped away from it a little. Don't really go to more than 1 or 2 shows a year now. Glad there are some blues fans out there. As for bier culture Mississippi might be the worst in the US, but when it comes to Blues culture we're at the head of the class. Gotta work with what ya got...

I used to want to write a book on MS blues artist. Now I hope to brew professionally... go figure!

Thanks for the kind comments,
Phillip

Old 08-06-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
cyberbackpacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 16

"characterful"? I might suggest rewording your last line there on the label. Just my .02, otherwise great label and concept.

Trinke Das Bier Das Du Gebraut Hast

Old 08-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #8
The Soft Underbelly
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I'd rather be sloppy drunk that 'bout anything else i know.

Alway dug Jimmy Rogers version personally but that label is awesome. Here to you and your superior taste in beer and blues!

Old 08-06-2008, 04:44 PM   #9
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The artwork is great. But somehow sloppy drunk and a 3.3% mild ale don't really work imo.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:30 PM   #10
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soft Underbelly View Post
I'd rather be sloppy drunk that 'bout anything else i know.

Alway dug Jimmy Rogers version personally but that label is awesome. Here to you and your superior taste in beer and blues!
For some reason I never got way into Jimmy Rogers. Don't dislike him. I do know he's a wonderful guitarist.

As a blues fan one of the great things is being able to find new artist, new takes on old songs, etc. The recorded history is so long it's really hard to exhaust all the resources, or atleast it is hard to do so on my budget! Bentonia MS is about 30 mins up the road from me and I've made a point of seeking out the recordings from that area. It's known mostly for Skip James and Jack Owens, it's played in A minor, a very droning dark sound very different from the other major styles. Even now it's producing new vibrant musicians that are as skilled in it's style as the guys from the 30's. Check out Jimmy Duck Holmes recorded by Broke and Hungry Records. I consider he and Bud Spires among my friends. Bud actually helped me learn how to blow harp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
The artwork is great. But somehow sloppy drunk and a 3.3% mild ale don't really work imo.
Yea I thought the same thing when I was brewing, but decided to go with it anyway. I think this will be a really good bier, and a fitting to tribute to a really great blues artist. Besides "Baby Please Don't Go" Ale just didn't seem to flow very well! Joe was actually a talent scout for several years for a couple of record labels. He converted his 6 string guitar to 9 strings just so other people wouldn't play it. He had an odd quirk where he didn't like people touching his stuff, it would make him look like this -> Just an amazing character, thus why I make reference to "characterful", and yes that is a word... I had to look it up myself to be sure.

Schlante,
Phillip