Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Continually adding water to boil to offset boil-off

Old 08-01-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
TrojanAnteater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

Default Continually adding water to boil to offset boil-off

Two Technique questions I've been trying to think about in my head but I'd like to leave it to those more experienced.

1) If I want to maintain a boil of about 4 gallons (I can't really do more than that as my pot is only 5 gallons) is it OK to keep adding a bit of water throughout the boil to keep the volume from dropping much? The main reason I would want to do this is to keep my hop utilization as maximized as I can throughout the boil. My instincts tell me that it shouldn't matter at all because if water wasn't added to the boil more would just have to be added to my fermenter before pitching the yeast.

2) I usually top up to 5 gallons after my wort has cooled and I've transfered it to my fermenter. I use bottled arrowhead spring water. Would I be OK adding some of that water to my 5 gallon brewpot as I start to cool it after the boil? Maybe add up to a volume of 4.5 gallons (not to the top so it doesn't spill while I pick it up and pour it in the bucket)? It seems like if anything it could add to the cooling process slightly.

3) Lastly, on whirlpooling, after I cool the wort down and take out my wort-chiller I want to start a whirlpool (I haven't used this technique yet). So all I do is make a quick whirlpool in it and let it sit there (covered) for 10-15 minutes? Is it that easy?

Thanks for any help.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 134 Posts

1) NO - Every time you make an add, the temperature drops & the utilization goes down.
2) Won't hurt, but it won't help much.
3) Right.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

+1 ........

Old 08-01-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If he adds it very slowly the temp wont drop much. How about a 1GPH drip irrigation head so it just continuously drips in? Or maybe a IV pump from your local home medical supply? looks like $25 to $800+ on ebay.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
Laurel

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Looks like a lot more work that it's worth. Just deal with the boiloff and top off when you're done. It won't affect your hop utilization as much as you'd think.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:58 PM   #6
TrojanAnteater
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

Alright cool, thanks for the responses.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:17 PM   #7
Jamo99
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You could have a small pot of water that you have at a boil and add that to your main boil. That won't drop the temp.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #8
Laurel

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo99 View Post
You could have a small pot of water that you have at a boil and add that to your main boil. That won't drop the temp.
Like making risotto!

Old 08-01-2008, 10:55 PM   #9
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ummmm, risotto beer... I sense an experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd