Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Question about pitch rate

Old 07-31-2008, 11:58 PM   #1
bgcoving
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question about pitch rate

With reference to:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=41768

I am getting ready to recover yeast from one of my batches using this method. My question is about my next batch....My OG's are usually around 1.065-73, and the Wyeast liquid recommends using one smackypack up to 1.060 -- I have taken to using 1qt. starter a couple of days in advance, but since I am getting ready to recover 4 pts of yeast, for my next batch, assuming I use a starter again to the tune of 1 qt for one pt of recovered yeast, will that cover a 5.25 gal batch at, say, 1.070?

I realize that I probably should have posted this under 'Ingredients', but, hey, I'm doing AG and I suspect you folks have been doing this a lot longer than I have...

Cheers--

Brother Ben

Secondary 1:
Secondary 2:
Conditioning:

Drinking: Brother Ben Believes in Hops ESB v.3; Brother Ben's Carolina Hurricanes Puck-Suckin' IPA v.2;Brother Ben's Lo-Ball Nut Brown Ale v.2

Old 08-01-2008, 01:35 AM   #2
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I think that is a great thread on yeast washing, and an excellent example of the old addage that a picture is worth a thousand words. Now take a look at the last picture in post 3. The jar on the right shows how much yeast you actually recover from each of your 4 pints. This is much less than you get in the original smack pack or vial, and you will need to make a starter from each of those "pints", and preferably step up that starter before pitching. This is no big deal. I make a 500 ml starter, and step it up to 1 liter one or two days later. I do this on the stir plate. Without a stir plate, it will take you a bit longer.
Take a look at http://maltosefalcons.com/tech/MB_Ra..._Culturing.php
This gives a great deal of information on propagating and pitching rates.
I would also stick with one smack pack or vial for higher gravity beers. If you leave the starter on the stir plate for another 2 - 3 hours, you'll have double the amount of yeast.

Hope this helps,

-a.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #3
bgcoving
Recipes 

Thanks, and thanks for the link...Don't have a stir plate, but if I read the article correctly....

I should a) start one pint in 2qts starter and shake regularly for the first day or so or b) start 2 pts in 2-3qts starter and pitch all for a 5 gal batch??? I am leaning towards b), but only into 2qts, and maybe keep my fingers crossed.....

I dunno, I didn't do too well in biology, and I am thinking this might get a bit beyond my limited abilities...

Secondary 1:
Secondary 2:
Conditioning:

Drinking: Brother Ben Believes in Hops ESB v.3; Brother Ben's Carolina Hurricanes Puck-Suckin' IPA v.2;Brother Ben's Lo-Ball Nut Brown Ale v.2

Old 08-01-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
Displaced MassHole
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Should help you calculate exactly what you need