Snickers ad - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Snickers ad

Old 07-31-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
hostileNabusive
Recipes 

Mar 2008
tundra of North Dakota

This is a recent ad from Snickers starring Mr. T.
It was shown in the Uk but was pulled stateside after complaints that it was offensive to homosexuals.

Some people must seriously just hate humor and wake up thinking "how can I take a big steaming dump on everyone today?"

... or is there some obvious insensitivity in the clip that I'm missing?

Old 07-31-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

I don't know if that was the only objection.

There was a pretty famous incident of kids firing paintballs at joggers and cyclists.
In Phoenix, we hade some dirt bag serial killers firing guns out of thier car window.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 07-31-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 804 Times on 510 Posts

I try to stay out of these threads, so I hope this post isn't too inflammatory.

It seems that the same people who claimed homosexual insensitivity are guilty of some pretty heinous stereotyping, themselves. Pot...kettle...black?

Old 07-31-2008, 05:07 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3184 Times on 1883 Posts

I would bet it was more because of the paintballing kids than homosexual complaints...I mean MOST speedwalkers I've seen when I speed walk wiggle our a$$es like that when we walk...Though most of us don't wear bright yellow short shorts....

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-31-2008, 05:12 PM   #5
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Nov 2007
ANCHORAGE!!
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
There was a pretty famous incident of kids firing paintballs at joggers and cyclists.
In Phoenix, we hade some dirt bag serial killers firing guns out of thier car window.
So idiots who can go to a movie and watch Arnold kill 1000 people in crowded places, cant see a funny commercial without going nuts?

sigh.......
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 07-31-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona

Here the objections is shooting people:

http://clicked.msnbc.msn.com/archive...5/1223252.aspx

Quote:
Speaking of ads, that Snickers commercial that has folks up in arms plays on the opening of the "Get some nuts" site. The site also has a little game where you drive around shooting Snickers at people. If you haven't seen it already the soccer player one is in the site's video tab.
Twitter

Old 07-31-2008, 05:14 PM   #7
Rezilynt

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Bellingham, Washington
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostileNabusive View Post
Some people must seriously just hate humor and wake up thinking "how can I take a big steaming dump on everyone today?"
... or is there some obvious insensitivity in the clip that I'm missing?
If you are missing it, so am I. You brought up one of my greatest pet peeves:
Too many whiney ass people with the attitude of "I don't care if there are 500 of you that like that, there are two of us that are offended. Therefore you can no longer have that!" Then they turn around to the one friend they have and say, "I just stopped 500 people from having the right to think for themselves, but I sure am happy."

Too bad a "straight" fast walker can't turn around and sue whatever organization protested on the grounds that they have labled all fast walkers as homosexuals.

There is a place for it but this wasn't one of them.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:19 PM   #9
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona

I'm just rounding out what the argument is.
I think people pick up on the (dare I say) sexier news items about the gay issue instad of the whole concept.

BTW a long time ago I lnked to the earlier T Snickers campaign which also did not air here in the US. I'm a fan, but I can see why they didn't run that one here as well.

Also If you think that these marketers are above playing you then word to the wise...
They do these cuting edge controverial campaigns on the side to fan the flames a bit knowing that they will get some underground cache. They want people to object.

They want you to buy into being angry that it was cut. Apparently it's working with some here!

Edited for emphasis!
Twitter

Old 07-31-2008, 05:21 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3184 Times on 1883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus View Post
That's hilarious. Some people need to relax a bit.

Time to change the avatar in homage to this video!
I missed your MR T avatar...Welcome back!

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew