Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Fridge conversion, what do I need?

Old 07-30-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
sero73
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fridge conversion, what do I need?

Hey all, first time poster here. I have an upright standard fridge with freezer on top. I would like to convert it to a kegerator to handle 2 kegs and 2 taps. I think I have a pretty good idea of what I need, but I want to be sure. I would like to have a single CO2 tank that can both handle dispensing of one keg and carbonating the other.

2 keg and CO2 tank system
2 x 6" stainless shanks
2 x washers
2 x beer wingnuts
2 x stainless tailpieces
2 x faucets (with stainless levers)
2 x faucet knobs

Should I go this route or just purchase sme kind of all-in-one 2 keg refrigerator conversion kit? Also, 3/16" or 1/4", does it matter? Thanks!

Robert

Old 07-30-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You seem pretty well on track. Look into getting perlick faucets though since they are forward sealing and work wonderfully in a seldom used environment. Also get a faucet wrench to help you take it all apart to clean.

3/16" line is preferred because you will need less to get the same pressure drop (you want barely any PSI at the tap) so plan on 8-10 ft of 3/16" line for each tap, plus tube for gas as well ( either size or bigger works for the Co2 side)

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 07-31-2008, 12:49 AM   #3
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 132

YES! If you can afford it, buy Perlicks or Ventmatics from the get-go! Standard beer faucets are just a PITA to keep running, especially if you use them for 1 or 2 pints a night. They stick really badly, whereas the Perlicks work like a DREAM.

Superior Products has them cheap, they come out to about $40 with shipping each faucet. http://www.superprod.com/

Also, 6" might be excessively long, it depends on your particular fridge. I think my shanks are 4.5".

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 07-31-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
sero73
Recipes 

Thanks guys, I will definitely go with the Perlicks after your recommendation and subsequent research. It seems Ventmatics are unavailable at the online retailers, wonder why? I am so exited about giving this a go . If the homebrew hobby doesn't work out (fingers crossed), I can always set up a commercially bought keg and draft. Anything is better than hauling out the full recycle bin every Tuesday morning with the sound of many a klinking beer bottles and wondering what the neighbors think