Slightly sour, off after taste - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Slightly sour, off after taste

Old 07-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
jacksonbrown

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Madison, WI
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'm wondering what this might be from. I have noticed it in my last two batches, a pale ale that's bottle conditioned, and a brown ale that was kegged. It's just a slightly noticeable, kind of sour, something's-not-right taste. Could this be due to high fermentation temps? Or fluctuation in temps? Anything? Please help... thanks!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3223 Times on 1903 Posts

How long are you waiting to taste them....and does it improve with age?

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-30-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
jacksonbrown

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Madison, WI
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The Pale Ale has been in the bottle for four+ weeks now. And I actually only noticed it once. But it was the same off-ness I found in the kegged Brown, which has only been kegged for a week (brewed three weeks ago, so still young).

Old 07-30-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
Tonedef131

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Fort Wayne
Liked 32 Times on 17 Posts

I am also researching a similar problem. I have a kegged cream ale that sort of have this but it fades more every day, so it could be something that will take care of itself. I also have a hefe that just finished ferementing and I noticed it again, but it is very young and that is most likely the problem. But both of them tested slightly low on the pH, but I am not sure what a "too low" pH is. you can watch my thread to see if anyone has any knowledge on the subject.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=74389