Nexium sucks. - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Nexium sucks.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:56 AM   #21
Jan 2007

Protonix should be generic fairly soon, I hope they would cover it then.
Primary: nothing :(
Secondary: Dry Mead
Bottled: Oatmeal Stout, apfelwein, craplwein, Orange Blossom Mead, Two heart clone
Kegged: cleared out 3 kegs

Old 08-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #22
Dec 2007
Susquehanna Valley, PA
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Ugh, I feel you pain, I hate heartburn, lucky for me it's only on occasion.

Remember folks, if you are going to use Protonix:

Do not stop taking Protonix even if you begin to feel better. Your symptoms may improve before the condition is fully treated. Do not crush, chew, or break a delayed-release (enteric-coated) tablet. It is specially made to release the medicine slowly into your body.

Some conditions must be treated long-term with Protonix. The chronic use of Protonix has caused stomach cancer in animal studies, but it is not known if Protonix would have the same effects in humans. Talk with your doctor about your specific risk of developing stomach cancer.

Do not take Protonix if you are allergic to pantoprazole. Before taking Protonix, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs.

Long-term treatment with Protonix may also make it harder for your body to absorb vitamin B-12, resulting in a deficiency of this vitamin. Symptoms of a vitamin B-12 deficiency may develop slowly and include pale skin, weakness, tired feeling, shortness of breath, and a fast heart rate. Talk with your doctor if you need long-term Protonix treatment and you have concerns about vitamin B-12 deficiency.
FDA pregnancy category B. This medication is not expected to be harmful to an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment. It is not known whether Protonix passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby
Yes, I'm the guy who set his sniper suit on fire last halloween...

Fire/EMS of

Old 08-01-2008, 01:02 PM   #23
Sep 2007
Limerick, Ireland
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Here in Ireland, I’m on the (government funded) prescription drugs payment scheme. That means that I pay no more than €90 a month for prescription drugs. Considering my asthma inhaler costs €100+ a month this means that I pay a flat rate €90 a month toward drugs as any time I’m sick and need a prescription I’m already at the limit.

As for heartburn and acid reflux:

Disclaimer: I don't suffer from heartburn or acid reflux, I'm neither a doctor nor a pharmacist and this is the drunken ramblings and mindless mumblings section...

For instant non medicated relief from heart burn (this is probably of no use to you chronic sufferers) take a small sip of peppermint cordial (undiluted). It gives instant relief and (can be) a good natural alternative to the third, fourth or fifth tablet. Hell, for all I know the stress of having to reach for the pills could be what’s causing the problem…

Repeat Disclaimer: This is probably of no use to you as a chronic sufferer. Always consult your doctor…
Originally Posted by Me
In the process of buying a bar... One drink at a time...
Originally Posted by chortly View Post
...homebrew contains more satisfactrons per serving, so you don't have to drink as much as you would a commercial beer to get to your satisfactron saturation.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:34 PM   #24
Jun 2008
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am an ex acid reflux sufferer and was on prilosec for 12 years before reading on the dangers that all the acid reflux pills do to your body. I have been symptom free for almost 2yrs now and if i get a rare flare up I take a natural antacid from a health food store. What doctors dont tell you is most acid reflux sufferers do not have too much acid but an acid imbalance, You have two types of acid in your stomache that need to be in balance. I cured mine through major diet changes in the beginning and now minor ones for the rest of my life, I also currently drink beer, red wine, and scotch with no problems and I lost weight as a positive side effect of going off the pills. Most say it was diet changes but two of my friends when seeing my weight loss went off their pills and each dropped over 15lbs (not sure if you need to or not). pro pump inhibitors do not allow your body to digest food properly and cause weight gain, they also block the calcium absorbtion to your bones. I took a natural digestive enzyme with each meal in the beginning and after a year i only need it now when I eat hard to digest meats. The first few weeks were hell but it got easier with each day as my body rebuilt my acid levels to proper balance through the natural supplements (unfortunately not covered by my $5 copay like prilosec was). There is a simple test with apple cider vinegar to see which acid you need more of. I'm living proof that doctors due to their kick backs from drug companies dont always give the best advice and if you do your own research you can change your life for the better, good luck and contact me if you want any more info on how i did it naturally, Ken

Old 08-01-2008, 11:21 PM   #25
Apr 2007
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The generic costs half what Protonix costs, but it is still a lot.

SWMBO has to have her Dr. file yearly with MEDCO for a waiver to get coverage.

We recently went vegan and she has been able to cut way back on need for Protonix.

BTW--I think only Aciphex and Protonix are listed with FDA for long-term use. Most others are for use for 16 weeks max or less. Am not a pharmacist so don't know if this is important (or correct).

Old 08-02-2008, 01:42 AM   #26
Jun 2008
Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Hey, KENfromMI, what's the apple cider vinegar test you speak of?

I tried a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water a couple times a day (only for one day, as it turned out) to relieve heartburn. Gave me the worst stomach ache of my life, so I went back to Zantac.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:36 AM   #27
May 2007
Wentzville, Missouri
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Beerrific View Post
Nexium is very similar to Prilosec. I would say to discuss this with your doctor, but Nexium has been marketed to them as being better. I don't want to get into this too much it might get too political, but it might be worth looking into. Prilosec is over the counter and depending on you insurance it might be cheaper. I think that it is availible generic too, so that would be even cheaper.

I used to take the Prilosec everyday, but I made a few small changes in my diet (stopped eating tomatoes) and have been able to stop taking it.
I take 1 Prilosec daily, have for about 4 years now. It costs me about 20 bucks a month, as a 42 pack is 26.00 here. I tried everything else, and its the only thing that seemed to work.
PRIMARY - Irish Red
PRIMARY - Apple Bee Cider
PRIMARY - Dunkelweizen
PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi