Nexium sucks. - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Nexium sucks.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:14 PM   #11
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Ohio
Liked 63 Times on 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulive View Post
...you'd probably be fine with one. Ready to give up alcohol?
You should be smacked for that comment.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:20 PM   #12
Soulive

Recipes 

Mar 2007
The Middle of NJ
Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus View Post
You should be smacked for that comment.
Just joshin'...rock on!

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 07-30-2008, 07:41 PM   #13
johnsma22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
Taunton, MA
Liked 82 Times on 61 Posts

Have you ever been checked for the Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) bacteria? Both my dad and myself were diagnosed with severe acid reflux. My dad had been suffering from it for 50+ years and in all that time was only taking over the counter stuff (Gelucel, etc). He was also diagnosed with a peptic ulcer.

When I started to get reflux in my mid thirties I had one doctor prescribe Prilosec, which worked pretty good. I changed doctors and the new guy asked if I had ever been checked for the H. pylori bacteria. I told him that I hadn't and had never heard of it. Well, it turns out that I had the bacteria. My dad got checked and he had it too! We were both prescribed a course of targeted antibiotics and that's all she wrote! No more reflux! No more medication! For my dad, no more peptic ulcer! For the first time in 50+ years my dad can eat whatever he wants!

If you haven't been check for this bacteria, do yourself a favor and ask your doctor about it.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:45 PM   #14
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Nov 2007
ANCHORAGE!!
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
If you changed your diet accordingly, you'd probably be fine with one. Ready to give up alcohol?
Its not diet related or alcohol related. I know because Ive been deployed where both were changed considerably. Plus I tend to eat healthy too.

I havent been checked for the bacteria from what I know. I will look into that. I do know that with the proton pump inhibitors (IE Protonix) my Acid reflux is gone no matter what I eat/drink.
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 07-30-2008, 07:48 PM   #15
Soulive

Recipes 

Mar 2007
The Middle of NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFlynn74 View Post
I do know that with the proton pump inhibitors
(IE Protonix) my Acid reflux is gone no matter what I eat/drink.
Nexium = proton pump inhibitor

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Old 07-30-2008, 07:52 PM   #16
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Nov 2007
ANCHORAGE!!
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

I wonder why it doesnt work as advertised. Of course some meds work for some, some dont.

It was more of a rant on Pharma lobbying for meds to be covered. bastards.
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 07-30-2008, 10:20 PM   #17
johnsma22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
Taunton, MA
Liked 82 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFlynn74 View Post
I havent been checked for the bacteria from what I know. I will look into that. I do know that with the proton pump inhibitors (IE Protonix) my Acid reflux is gone no matter what I eat/drink.
Please, please, please get yourself checked for the bacteria. It just might change your life, like it did for my dad and I. I just talked to my nephew who also had bad reflux. A couple of weeks ago I told him to get checked for the H. pylori. He did last week and the result was positive for the bacteria. He is now on the antibiotics. I'll bet he'll soon be free from taking PPI's for the rest of life too!

Old 07-30-2008, 10:27 PM   #18
Soulive

Recipes 

Mar 2007
The Middle of NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22 View Post
Please, please, please get yourself checked for the bacteria. It just might change your life, like it did for my dad and I. I just talked to my nephew who also had bad reflux. A couple of weeks ago I told him to get checked for the H. pylori. He did last week and the result was positive for the bacteria. He is now on the antibiotics. I'll bet he'll soon be free from taking PPI's for the rest of life too!
That's interesting. I'll have my gastro check me next time I visit. Changing my diet and PPIs have helped me get back to normal. It'd be nice to not have to take them though...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Old 07-30-2008, 10:32 PM   #19
Rick500

Recipes 

Jun 2008
KY
Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

I know with Protonix, it took a good couple of weeks of taking it every day before it really worked completely for me.

Maybe Nexium is similar, and needs some more time to start developing its full effect?

(Incidentally, I had to stop taking Protonix; it was great for acid reflux but gave me stomach aches after a while.)

Old 07-31-2008, 11:14 PM   #20
Kaboom
Recipes 

Feb 2006

I'll second the prilosec suggestion. It is available both OTC and prescription. My doc started me on Nexium, which worked OK. My insurance company stopped covering it, so I tried the OTC prilosec (actually the much cheaper generic from Target) and find that it works better than Nexium ever did.