Nexium sucks. - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Nexium sucks.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:32 PM   #1
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Nov 2007
ANCHORAGE!!
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Recently TriCare switched approved formulas meaning a pharma company lobbied for their drug to be bought by the military. I have Acid Reflux bad. So bad I used to have to keep whole milk next to the bed every night. Ive always had it and it didnt matter what I ate.
I saw a Dr. about it and he put me on Protonix. Within a week I was sleeping through the night and not having any issues with indigestion or acid reflux. Well a year later TriCare no longer will cover or prescribe Protonix. One a day hell 3 times a week most of the time and I could eat habaneros and not have acid reflux or heart burn. Id have other issues but you get the point.

Nexium does the job but I have to take 2 to 3 times the dose each day to get it to work. Hell Zantac 150 does just as much. Im sure the Got is paying out the rear for this crap.

This is the rambling section right? *mumble*
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 07-30-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
Soulive

Recipes 

Mar 2007
The Middle of NJ
Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts

I have bad reflux too and I take Nexium once a day. Zantac 150 is good for half the day, but Nexium keeps me good all day. I think I liked Prevacid better, but Nexium heals your throat as well as controls acid. Is Prevacid covered by your insurance?

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 07-30-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Nov 2007
ANCHORAGE!!

only Nexium- Prevacid, Acifex and Protonix used to be but all got dropped when they picked up Nexium
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 07-30-2008, 06:44 PM   #4
devaspawn

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Central VA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Wow! Really?! I thought I had acid reflux bad. Nexium is the only thing that works for me. I take one pill a day and i am good to go. I used to go through a 500 count bottle of tums every 2 weeks. Couldn't sleep through the night without a problem. You must have it worse than me. I am completely miserable without it. I can't imagine how bad you must have it if you have to take 2 to 3 pills a day. Jesus! That must blow!

Prim 1: Ogre's House Red Ale
Prim 2: Apfelwein

Old 07-30-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Nov 2007
ANCHORAGE!!

Yea- God forbid I miss a damn pill. But I am wondering if its beginning to build. The first 2 weeks it was 3 a day and now it seems I only need 2. Hopefully I will get to one a day.

But like I said with Protonix- 1 a day for a week and then only 3 times a week I was golden.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3189 Times on 1884 Posts

Damn, sorry to hear that, I remember you telling me weeks ago how good protonix is.

What's the out of pocket on Protonix without the coverage? Despite the fact that you get tri-care, you might want to see if there are any of those "drug discount" plans out there that would offer a discount on the protonix, all sorts of groups have these plans now, it's like for a monthly fee of maybe 20 bucks, you get between a 60 and 80% discount on drugs at participating pharmacies, and my understanding it is on ALL drugs, not a limiting number....I know for a fact that Ameri-plan has one of those plans, becasue a couple of my friends sell it. I think even Triple A offers a drug discount plan as well....

It may be worth it if you can find a good discount plan with a low membership fee and a deep discount to pay for it yourself, if it works better than the other crap.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-30-2008, 06:54 PM   #7
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Nov 2007
ANCHORAGE!!

Hrm I will look into that Revy- Hell A years supply for me is only about 100 pills for that stuff.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:56 PM   #8
devaspawn

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Central VA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Maybe I will have to ask my doctor about Protonix and find out if my insurance covers it

Prim 1: Ogre's House Red Ale
Prim 2: Apfelwein

Old 07-30-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
Soulive

Recipes 

Mar 2007
The Middle of NJ
Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts

Two Nexium pills per day isn't that bad. If you changed your diet accordingly, you'd probably be fine with one. Ready to give up alcohol?

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 07-30-2008, 07:07 PM   #10
Beerrific

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Georgia
Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts

Nexium is very similar to Prilosec. I would say to discuss this with your doctor, but Nexium has been marketed to them as being better. I don't want to get into this too much it might get too political, but it might be worth looking into. Prilosec is over the counter and depending on you insurance it might be cheaper. I think that it is availible generic too, so that would be even cheaper.

I used to take the Prilosec everyday, but I made a few small changes in my diet (stopped eating tomatoes) and have been able to stop taking it.