Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > My watering system broke, are my hopes doomed?

Old 07-30-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
southern brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default My watering system broke, are my hopes doomed?

about 3 weeks ago, the electronic timer i had on my home took a nose dive and I didn't know it. The timer stopped working and my hops started to dry up and die. I estimate they may have gone as many as 5 days without water. the lower bines shriveled and died but the upper bines had been doing well; the cones even grew in size. but now some of the side arms that were doing ok are now starting to shrivel up and wilt. I have replaced my timer and they are getting water again on the same schedule they were originally getting. I have 3 plants; 1 cascade, 1 mt hood, and 1 centenial and they are all in 16 inch pots because i knew i would be moving.

Do they have a good chance of surviving? or are they screwed?

Old 07-30-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6056 Times on 5221 Posts
Likes Given: 81

All you can do is wait and see. Hops are resilient.

I might suggest you do a deep watering but, only if your soils drain very well. On my raised bed garden I try to do a deep watering every week or two to make sure that the roots can dig deep to find water.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 134 Posts

I expect they'll survive. Hops sacrifice the lower parts to keep the highest leaves & side arms alive.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-31-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
southern brewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

one plant looks like it will be ok. it use to be the smallest of the plants. now it is the healthiest looking plant and catching up
the middleheigth hop plant is still struggling but no longer are the hop buds appearing
the tallest plant looks like it is not going to make it. now most the leaves and side arms up to the top are dead. that one had a few dozen hops on it but only the top foot or two out of 15 feet is green. It was a cascade jumbo

Old 08-05-2008, 08:47 PM   #5
southern brewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The entire 16 foot of bine died
but the rhizome lives on. it put out another bine