Careful with your signatures - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Careful with your signatures

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 11:16 PM   #1
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 697 Times on 513 Posts

Just a word of warning, I guess the forum rules are being taken very seriously.

I just received an infraction point for my old signature. I suppose the infraction was deserved as it could be seen as a political comment to anyone looking hard enough. And the sigs get seen on all threads that you post on. I'm posting this in the Drunken Rants section where I know it will be safe to post. The offending signature was:

"If a cop is beating on you, don't just assume that he is a fascist, racist or homophobic. He is probably just having fun. Try to relax and share in his humour."

Now, I used that sig all in good fun, not even thinking it could seem offensive to anyone. This is just a heads up to anyone that has a signature that could be misunderstood in any way. No need for infraction points for you guys

Old 07-29-2008, 11:33 PM   #2
farmbrewernw

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Richland, WA
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I rather liked your old signature, but I too like fluffy cats.
I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:37 PM   #3
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2008
Podunk, VA. Not far from the NC line.
Liked 32 Times on 14 Posts

most problems can be solved with the proper application of force. (no matter which side you stand on)
primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:41 PM   #4
johnsma22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
Taunton, MA
Liked 80 Times on 60 Posts

I would like someone to explain to me how anyone, other than a cop that beats people purely for fun, could find that offensive. And, if said cop beats people purely for fun, why would anyone care if they were offended? Is this turning into Sesame Street around here?

Old 07-29-2008, 11:55 PM   #5
billtzk
Recipes 

Apr 2007
Dallas
Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

I don't know. It doesn't seem particularly political, considering that the only word with overt political significance in your former sig is "fascist".

It could just be PC, but I doubt it. Or one of the mods might be a cop. Who knows?

I think the trouble with sigs like that one is that it is pointlessly provocative and totally unrelated to the content that this board is devoted to. It has nothing to do with homebrewing. Sure, there are other sigs that have no bearing on homebrewing, and some of them might even be considered to be in poor taste, but they aren't potentially inflammatory like yours.

There are plenty of boards where a sig like that would be just fine because the forum is devoted to debate, liberty, social commentary, conspiracy, hate, dark humor, politics, etc. This board is dedicated to homebrewing and beer, and your sig just didn't fit.

Ask the mods. They might explain their rationale to you.

I liked your sig by the way. There is little real liberty anymore and we do essentially live in a police state. What you say isn't really far off the mark.

I also like fluffycats.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:57 PM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts

Censorship, in all forms, sucks!!!

I'm not homophobic...why would I be afraid of "the same"? I consider it one of those BS words that no one knows what the hell it means...including the first person who coined it (uneducated dumb ass), so I don't use it.

I believe the term should be "homosexualphobic" which relays (the why) fear of what someone may actually be afraid of...

My $0.02!!

EDIT: Fluffy cats are nice with rice...

Old 07-29-2008, 11:59 PM   #7
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 808 Times on 512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtzk View Post
I think the trouble with sigs like that one is that it is pointlessly provocative and totally unrelated to the content that this board is devoted to. It has nothing to do with homebrewing. Sure, there are other sigs that have no bearing on homebrewing, and some of them might even be considered to be in poor taste, but they aren't potentially inflammatory like yours.
Right on. I was not the one to administer the infraction, but I can't disagree with it.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:01 AM   #8
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 697 Times on 513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtzk View Post
I don't know. It doesn't seem particularly political, considering that the only word with overt political significance in your former sig is "fascist".

It could just be PC, but I doubt it. Or one of the mods might be a cop. Who knows?

There are plenty of boards where a sig like that would be just fine because the forum is devoted to debate, liberty, social commentary, conspiracy, hate, dark humor, politics, etc. This board is dedicated to homebrewing and beer, and your sig just didn't fit.

Ask the mods. They might explain their rationale to you.

I liked your sig by the way. There is little real liberty anymore and we do essentially live in a police state. What you say isn't really far off the mark.

I also like fluffycats.
That's kinda how I understand it too. It was a bit of a surprise, so that's why I posted the warning to others, just in case.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:05 AM   #9
Philip1993
Recipes 

Jul 2007
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Right on. I was not the one to administer the infraction, but I can't disagree with it.
Sorry Yuri and BillTK. I disagree. Clearly satire...

Old 07-30-2008, 12:05 AM   #10
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

Thanks for giving everyone a heads up.

For those that are having difficulty with this decision, please address it here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=73680

Quoted for emphasis:
Quote:
If anyone has a complaint or concern about the moderation policies, practices or the actions or behaviors of the moderation team, there is but one avenue of this type of communication and that is a PM to the ADMIN.

TxBrew
http://iam.homebrewtalk.com/TxBrew

Direct PM LInk:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=1
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Closed Thread