Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg Carbing at Room Temp

Old 07-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
NK3740
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Keg Carbing at Room Temp

Hello to everyone!
I've been reading these forums for longer than I can remember and they have been a wealth of information for me, so my many thanks go out. Now that I'm registered (FINALLY!), I've got a question that I know one of you can shed some light on.

I just got done racking my Bell's Two Hearted Ale clone from secondary to corney. Sanitized, racked, blew-off head space, etc. Here's the rub. I want to carb this beer but it will be a few more weeks until I can get up the scratch to order a thermostat control unit to convert my chest freezer into a kegerator. That means I won't have the ability to bring the beer down in temperature to facilitate the carbing process.

I've consulted a few carbination charts on the web and it looks like at 75 degrees (room temp) to achieve a volume of 2.5 you would need 40 psi?!? Does that sound right to anyone? I'm from the school of setting it at your serving temp (10 to 12 psi), wait a few weeks and enjoy. Also, I'm leary about force carbing because of an incident where beer back flowed in a gas line and had a field day with my regulator. So right now my guess would be to set it at 40 psi and let it sit. Anyone have a different idea?

Thanks again in advance...

Old 07-29-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

You can either throw priming sugar in the keg or force carbonate. If your not able to get your temps any lower then you'll have to hook it up at whatever the chart says. If your worried about beer flowing back up the gas tube to your regulator make sure you pull the pressure relief before hooking up any keg that you dont know how much pressure there is.

I have force carbonated at room temp before when my kegerator and storage area was full, just hook up at whatever pressure works for that temp and let it sit.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5740 Times on 4110 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK3740 View Post
Hello to everyone!
I've been reading these forums for longer than I can remember and they have been a wealth of information for me, so my many thanks go out. Now that I'm registered (FINALLY!), I've got a question that I know one of you can shed some light on.

I just got done racking my Bell's Two Hearted Ale clone from secondary to corney. Sanitized, racked, blew-off head space, etc. Here's the rub. I want to carb this beer but it will be a few more weeks until I can get up the scratch to order a thermostat control unit to convert my chest freezer into a kegerator. That means I won't have the ability to bring the beer down in temperature to facilitate the carbing process.

I've consulted a few carbination charts on the web and it looks like at 75 degrees (room temp) to achieve a volume of 2.5 you would need 40 psi?!? Does that sound right to anyone? I'm from the school of setting it at your serving temp (10 to 12 psi), wait a few weeks and enjoy. Also, I'm leary about force carbing because of an incident where beer back flowed in a gas line and had a field day with my regulator. So right now my guess would be to set it at 40 psi and let it sit. Anyone have a different idea?

Thanks again in advance...

Yeah, that sounds about right. Remember that co2 dissolves much better in cold liquids, and not so well in warm liquids.

Why don't you just prime the keg with priming sugar (about 1/2 of what you would with bottling- like 2.5 ounces) and let it carbonate naturally? I've done that.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 07-29-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
NK3740
Recipes 

Thanks for the speedy reply guys. My priming sugar went away with my bottles so that's not an option. So the consensus is to set at 40 psi and let it sit?

Old 07-29-2008, 04:17 PM   #5
findthefish
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Get a check valve so the beer can't go back up the gas line.

The Bruery Provisions - Homebrewing supplies and equipment.
BrewCommune - Orange County home brew club, yeast database, recipes, and forum.

On Deck: Belgian IPA
Primary: nothing
Secondary: Traditional Mead
Kegged: APA, Cream Ale, Belgian Ale, Sour Belgian, Barrel Aged RIS

Old 07-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
NK3740
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by findthefish View Post
Get a check valve so the beer can't go back up the gas line.

Way ahead of you on that on findthefish. However that will come sometime after the thermostat controller. Also, I have a premium series Micromatic dual guage regulator and the outlet valve on it looks exactly like a check valve. Am I being too hopeful in thinking there is a check valve already installed on my regulator?

Old 07-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #7
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the speedy reply guys. My priming sugar went away with my bottles so that's not an option. So the consensus is to set at 40 psi and let it sit?
I'd stick it at 40psi and let it sit. If you really don't want to hook it up to the gas just use table sugar (or honey) for priming

Old 07-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
NK3740
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
I'd stick it at 40psi and let it sit. If you really don't want to hook it up to the gas just use table sugar (or honey) for priming
That's the thing, I really DO want to hook it to the gas and I DON'T want to prime it with anything.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I had this exact issue last month. I put my Apfelwein and Apricot Blond into the Kegs, hit with 30 PSI, then set them in the basement (60F) when Freezer was ready, I let them chill down, then released the pressure to 12 psi. About 2 hours later I was back up to 20, but after releasing that it's held steady at 12. After a day in the cold...all was good. I think this will be my SOP for beer that does not fit in the Keezer. I have 3 taps and room for 5 kegs. Problem is I brew about twice or 3 times as fast as I drink.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #10
findthefish
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Way ahead of you on that on findthefish. However that will come sometime after the thermostat controller. Also, I have a premium series Micromatic dual guage regulator and the outlet valve on it looks exactly like a check valve. Am I being too hopeful in thinking there is a check valve already installed on my regulator?
It can be hard to tell, usually they just come with shut-off valves unless you add on a shut-off/check valve.

If it looks like this one, they do not come with check valves installed.

The Bruery Provisions - Homebrewing supplies and equipment.
BrewCommune - Orange County home brew club, yeast database, recipes, and forum.

On Deck: Belgian IPA
Primary: nothing
Secondary: Traditional Mead
Kegged: APA, Cream Ale, Belgian Ale, Sour Belgian, Barrel Aged RIS