(another) Alton Brown/Good Eats "Amber Waves" Episode Discussion - Page 5 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > (another) Alton Brown/Good Eats "Amber Waves" Episode Discussion

Old 07-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #41
thewurzel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Baltimore, MD
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I personally think he might not have all the correct terminology and makes a few of us laugh at his techniques.

But if people get interested in brewing from his shows and it brings others into our community that are interested in learning to home brew.

I am all for it

Old 07-29-2008, 02:59 PM   #42
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado
Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
It's like reading Consumer Reports. Looks great until they review something you know about, then you get a "what planet are these people on?" feeling.
This happens to me whenever MythBusters works on gun myths....or anything to do with high Performance Vehicles.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:20 PM   #43
MrManTX
Recipes 

Jun 2008
San Antonio, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Drive View Post
While the processes and terminology may be wrong. That particular show got me interested in home brewing. Being a chef I know better than to follow an A.B. recipe and or show. So that led me to you guys. I'll never be the same.
I agree with Short Drive. He also got me interested in brewing.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #44
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4851 Times on 3269 Posts

Look, there is a lot of variability in brewing. You can do it quick and dirty, or all the way up to scientific and anal. Alton's method was based on the basics, and what a lot of people would be able to do in their kitchen. You get the gist of what's going on, and the ability to do it at home with no prior experience, and it's pretty entertaining as well.

Now, is it the be-all-end-all of brewing? Not even close, but the show is not supposed to make master brewers, but to introduce brewing to the common person. If he included much more technical info, it would be put-offing to the everyman. It's a good episode to get people interested in brewing, and to show how easy it can be to make your own beer.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:29 PM   #45
BlindLemonLars
Recipes 

May 2007
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbearbrewing View Post
...do i know the proper way to cook a souffle (sp?) no...does alton? your guess is as good as mine
In defense of Alton, he's much better at making souffles than beer. I've made his souffle recipe many times, it's great. I add a pound of drained, frozen spinach, otherwise it's his recipe exactly.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:26 AM   #46
billtzk
Recipes 

Apr 2007
Dallas
Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars View Post
In defense of Alton, he's much better at making souffles than beer. I've made his souffle recipe many times, it's great. I add a pound of drained, frozen spinach, otherwise it's his recipe exactly.

Now that looks good. That would pair nicely in the summer with a malty light brown ale. Maybe even a strong porter on a cold winter day.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:16 PM   #47
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4851 Times on 3269 Posts

I've tried making his ice cream and it was great. I'm gearing up to try his pulled pork too. I wish I could afford to spend hundreds on a cooker, but $30 will get r done too. Plus, I get the science behind why to cook it that way.

Ever see the episode where he dresses up like the Holy Grail knight? He has a Patsy following him with coconuts and all! Hilarious!

Old 07-31-2008, 09:32 AM   #48
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

I don't have food network, and have never heard of Alton Brown, so all this banter and bitching about him is rather amusing to me.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:00 PM   #49
FireBrewer

Recipes 

May 2007
Fallston, MD
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Look, there is a lot of variability in brewing. You can do it quick and dirty, or all the way up to scientific and anal. Alton's method was based on the basics, and what a lot of people would be able to do in their kitchen. You get the gist of what's going on, and the ability to do it at home with no prior experience, and it's pretty entertaining as well.

Now, is it the be-all-end-all of brewing? Not even close, but the show is not supposed to make master brewers, but to introduce brewing to the common person. If he included much more technical info, it would be put-offing to the everyman. It's a good episode to get people interested in brewing, and to show how easy it can be to make your own beer.
THIS. Couldn't have said it better.

Overall a good episode and I've heard a lot of new brewers say it got them interested, so mission accomplished.

I do like Good Eats. Made the overnight cinnamon rolls the other day, turned out amazingly well...wife was very impressed.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:21 PM   #50
Hegh

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Schenectady, NY
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I suppose I'm reviving a dead thread, but I figured I'd put my $0.02 in, since I wasn't a member back when the discussion was going on:

I love the show, and have seen every episode (up through the beginning of season 12) multiple times. I think it's great for learning cooking techniques and the science behind why food behaves the way it does and why recipes are formulated the way that they are.

On the other hand, I don't really trust his recipes. I've made three of them: The baked tomato sauce, the broccoli casserole, and the plain bread (from Dr. Strangeloaf). The tomato sauce was awful, the broccoli casserole would probably have been good if I'd used ranch instead of blue cheese dressing, and the bread, although quite good, was plain.

I have, however, made quite a few recipes based on his techniques, such as pouch cooking fish. I've even adopted his knife wielding style, since it offers so much more control than what my mother taught me.

I like the beer episode for introducing the hobby to a huge audience, but it bugs me because it seems like he didn't do enough research to get the things right that most people get from his show: technique and food science. Well... His researchers didn't get them right (and I know he has researchers; I have a cousin who dated one briefly).

Perhaps that was more like $0.05... longer than I'd intended

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton