(another) Alton Brown/Good Eats "Amber Waves" Episode Discussion - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > (another) Alton Brown/Good Eats "Amber Waves" Episode Discussion

Old 07-29-2008, 01:07 AM   #11
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2008
Podunk, VA. Not far from the NC line.
Liked 32 Times on 14 Posts

ya, let me see, ummm NO!
primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:32 AM   #12
Jilaman
Recipes 

Apr 2008
San Antonio, TX

This episode too got me the bug in my ear to start brewing. I do look on in disbelief at his techniques. But he does emphasize sanitation. And I still use bleach for sanitation, and I have not had an off flavor or infection yet, and it is still cheaper than any other form of sanitzer.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:48 AM   #13
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado
Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageSteve View Post
This episode set brewing back about 10 years.
I was 21 and brewing 9 years ago, and didn't to anything this stupid.
The benefit of AG...errr...AB is that he gets the masses interested in things.
So his method sucks and his ingredients are poorly used...We always say..I'ts hard to screw up beer. He proved it.

I wish there was a way to get an accurate count of people that are now brewing or at least researching because of this episode.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:04 AM   #14
Shipwrecked
Recipes 

Nov 2006
Wake Forest, NC

I'm one of those guys that had never brewed until I watched that show. I was sitting home one rainy saturday and was bored out of my mind. I saw the show, went to the internet, found a homebrew shop not too far away, and went and bought the stuff to start brewing. My LHBS recommended I get started using a different process and gave me a simple recipe/directions sheet to follow. My first brew probably sucked, but I was proud. I even shared it with friends - I can't imagine why they didn't drink much? A lot of brews and a few comp medals later, I am so glad that Alton Brown was on TV making brewing look so fun (and easy)!

Old 07-29-2008, 02:08 AM   #15
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Connecticut
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

OK, OK...

I don't doubt that this episode got many people interested in brewing. No problem with that.

I watched this episode from the perspective of someone who has brewed for years, so yes, it was pretty scary to watch. I can imagine that for someone who has never brewed or watched someone brew before, this episode was pretty cool.

But if you're going to try to bring homebrewing to "the masses", at least do it without spreading bad advice. Doing it "the right way" would not have been any harder!
Planning: n/a

Old 07-29-2008, 02:16 AM   #16
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3184 Times on 1883 Posts

So what did food network re-broadcast it????

Mods, can you cram this thread in with the threads created LAST time it aired???

Seriously, he rocks, he's the consumate cooking DIY'er....but he made a few mistakes, and at the same time did what very few things, and people did, not since Charlie Papazian and Mr Beer have so many people gotten into homebrewing....(who of course came here and we set them straight.)

So he deserves some props....

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-29-2008, 02:18 AM   #17
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod View Post
Continue the AB bashing here.
AB is a poopy head

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 07-29-2008, 02:19 AM   #18
Revvy

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan

Quote:
OK, OK...

I don't doubt that this episode got many people interested in brewing. No problem with that.

But if you're going to try to bring homebrewing to "the masses", at least do it without spreading bad advice. Doing it "the right way" would not have been any harder!
At least he's not picking chicken feather's out of his yeast before pitching, like SOME video brewers have done....but I won't name any names here (egiarc ebut)

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-29-2008, 02:21 AM   #19
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Connecticut
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
At least he's not picking chicken feather's out of his yeast before pitching, like SOME video brewers have done....but I won't name any names here (egiarc ebut)
Oh man! I saw some of his videos, but not that one! Gotta check that one out.
Planning: n/a

Old 07-29-2008, 02:25 AM   #20
Revvy

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan

Quote:
Oh man! I saw some of his videos, but not that one! Gotta check that one out.

Ohyoumissedsomegood****man!!! Actually it may not have been chicken feathers...it might have been pigeon.