PSA: Trim your IC lines! - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > PSA: Trim your IC lines!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
Alamo_Beer
 
Alamo_Beer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Manor, Tx
Posts: 2,439
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts



This probubly isn't ground breaking for most of you but I learned a lesson this weekend.

My IC has leaked maybe a cup or so of water into my last 2 or 3 brews and it was REALLY pissing me off. Finally this weekend i got the bright idea to trim the part that has the hose clamp on it....wahla! No more leaks!

I've had the IC for maybe a year or so now so I guess it makes since that it'll need to be trimed every once in a while.

Anyway just passing on the word


 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
Arneba28
 
Arneba28's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Amherst, Western New York
Posts: 2,193
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts


Yeah I had to do this when I bought mine. It was dripping to the amount that it was effecting my volume, not to mention the fact that it was dirty hose water going in there not being boiled.
__________________
My Kegerator Project

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,912
Liked 342 Times on 169 Posts


I got tired of this happening, so now I have garden hose fittings on it. No more leaks or hoses flying off.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
Big10Seaner
 
Big10Seaner's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Schaumburg
Posts: 675
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


I just fixed mine yesterday as well, no leaks at all!
__________________
End of the Line Brewing
Primary: Caramel Cider
Secondary: Bourbon Vanilla Porter
On tap: Some Sort of IPA, Cherry Cider
Bottled: Belgian Sour (1st place winner Binny's Chicago Comp)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:40 PM   #5
Bytor1100
 
Bytor1100's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Utah
Posts: 544
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
I got tired of this happening, so now I have garden hose fittings on it. No more leaks or hoses flying off.
Same with me. My first 25' IM that I purchased began leaking alos. So when I built for new 50' chiller I just soldered garden hose fittings on it and it works much better.
__________________
30 Gallons - Malty Moe APA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:13 PM   #6
damrass
 
damrass's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Conway, AR, USA
Posts: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo_Beer View Post
This probubly isn't ground breaking for most of you but I learned a lesson this weekend.

My IC has leaked maybe a cup or so of water into my last 2 or 3 brews and it was REALLY pissing me off. Finally this weekend i got the bright idea to trim the part that has the hose clamp on it....wahla! No more leaks!

I've had the IC for maybe a year or so now so I guess it makes since that it'll need to be trimed every once in a while.

Anyway just passing on the word
Sorry if this is a stupid quesiton, but what exactly do you mean you trimmed it? Illustration or pictures would help a visually oriented person like myself.

I have this problem too, and I just hate the idea of that nasty water dripping into the wort; I went as far as ordering a new IC that has hose fittings (gonna use the old one as a pre-chiller).
__________________
Planned: Hefeweizen
Fermenting: British Bitter
Kegged: nothing :(

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #7
Alamo_Beer
 
Alamo_Beer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Manor, Tx
Posts: 2,439
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts


Hehe I don't think a pic is really necissary....I just cut off about an inch from the end of the tube...specifically the part that was crimped down by the worm clamp

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #8
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,912
Liked 342 Times on 169 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by damrass View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid quesiton, but what exactly do you mean you trimmed it? Illustration or pictures would help a visually oriented person like myself.

I have this problem too, and I just hate the idea of that nasty water dripping into the wort; I went as far as ordering a new IC that has hose fittings (gonna use the old one as a pre-chiller).
Unscrew the clamps, take hose off, cut off about 1 inch of hose, put hose back on copper pipe, tighten clamps.

Over time, the clamps loosen, the hose gets weak there, the heating & expanding will get to it, and then it leaks and or comes off all together.

This way, you get a fresh grip when you trim your hose and reclamp.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:28 PM   #9
damrass
 
damrass's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Conway, AR, USA
Posts: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
Unscrew the clamps, take hose off, cut off about 1 inch of hose, put hose back on copper pipe, tighten clamps.

Over time, the clamps loosen, the hose gets weak there, the heating & expanding will get to it, and then it leaks and or comes off all together.

This way, you get a fresh grip when you trim your hose and reclamp.
That's what I was thinking he meant. Unfortunately, I had tried this but it didn't really help mine. I even put two clamps on each hose. Oh well, it'll make a good prechiller when the new IC arrives.
__________________
Planned: Hefeweizen
Fermenting: British Bitter
Kegged: nothing :(

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:30 PM   #10
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,415
Liked 794 Times on 437 Posts


I thought you were going to tell me you picked up 5 efficiency points with a shorter line..........j/k

I just fix any leaks I have by wrapping duct tape around everything.....j/k again...

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
glycol runs-flexible copper lines, or vinyl lines? chainsawbrewing Kegerators & Keezers 18 02-23-2010 04:30 PM
Do I need to trim these? Jonnio Hops Growing 10 08-02-2008 01:59 PM
Side arms - to trim or not to trim? Danek Hops Growing 3 05-12-2008 11:55 AM


Forum Jump