Fruit Beer Apricot Blond. - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes > Fruit Beer Apricot Blond.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
BDB
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Posts: 80
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


This is a very tasty beer brewed by Dry Dock in Aurora, Colorado.

http://www.drydockbrewing.com/Recipe...7/Default.aspx

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
crypt0
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Kitchener
Posts: 183
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


This will be my first all grain batch I'll be making this weekend.

Couple of questions based on what I have available... I don't have access to S04 at the moment without driving about 3 hours. Would Nottingham or Wyeast 1056 work?

I also have 1 lb crystal 20 and 1 lb crystal 40. For a 10 gallon batch, would that throw
off the colour too much? If so, I'll scale back to a 5 gallon batch.

Cheers!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:15 PM   #13
BDB
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Posts: 80
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by crypt0 View Post
This will be my first all grain batch I'll be making this weekend.

Couple of questions based on what I have available... I don't have access to S04 at the moment without driving about 3 hours. Would Nottingham or Wyeast 1056 work?

I also have 1 lb crystal 20 and 1 lb crystal 40. For a 10 gallon batch, would that throw
off the colour too much? If so, I'll scale back to a 5 gallon batch.

Cheers!
Dry Dock Brewing recommends WLP002 or Wyeast 1968 London ESB.

As for the crystal, Dry Dock's recipe only calls for 0.5# for 5 gallons. Double that and your golden See link above.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #14
jds
 
jds's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Littleton, CO
Posts: 1,913
Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts


I tapped a keg of the Dry Dock recipe for a family party on July 4. Big hit. This is a nice, easy-drinking summer beer, with enough complexity from the apricot to make it interesting. It's nowhere near as overpoweringly fruity as a lot of apricot beers.

As for the yeast, I brewed mine with S-04, and it turned out excellent. I'm not a fruit beer guy, but this is a very nice fruit beer. The method (3 lb of puree in primary ferment, flavoring at bottling/kegging) seems like it would lend itself to lots of different fruit, if you were so inclined.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #15
kenan
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Boulder, CO
Posts: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDB View Post
This is a very tasty beer brewed by Dry Dock in Aurora, Colorado.

http://www.drydockbrewing.com/Recipe...7/Default.aspx

Hmm... that link isn't valid anymore... Can someone post or PM me the DryDock apricot blonde recipe? (assuming Dry Dock is ok with that....)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #16
BDB
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Posts: 80
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kenan View Post
Hmm... that link isn't valid anymore... Can someone post or PM me the DryDock apricot blonde recipe? (assuming Dry Dock is ok with that....)
From what I remember the OP recipe was identical to Dry Docks. That's why I posted the link. I didn't want the OP to take credit for a Dry Dock recipe.

Dry Dock and The Brew Hut gave out most, if not all of their recipes out. The Brew Hut has since pulled the blonde ap off their site. Not sure the reasoning.

One thing with Dry Docks Ap Blonde recipe was that the amount of cascade hops was too much. I knew three people that brewed the extract recipe and it all came out way too hoppy. So I brewed their recipe a while ago. Brought it in for them to try it. We came to the conclusion that the amount of cascade needs to be cut in half. I think it was closer to .25 to .33 oz of cascade.

And be careful with the 4oz. additive. That stuff is potent.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #17
kenan
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Boulder, CO
Posts: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDB View Post
From what I remember the OP recipe was identical to Dry Docks. That's why I posted the link. I didn't want the OP to take credit for a Dry Dock recipe.

Dry Dock and The Brew Hut gave out most, if not all of their recipes out. The Brew Hut has since pulled the blonde ap off their site. Not sure the reasoning.

One thing with Dry Docks Ap Blonde recipe was that the amount of cascade hops was too much. I knew three people that brewed the extract recipe and it all came out way too hoppy. So I brewed their recipe a while ago. Brought it in for them to try it. We came to the conclusion that the amount of cascade needs to be cut in half. I think it was closer to .25 to .33 oz of cascade.

And be careful with the 4oz. additive. That stuff is potent.

Thanks for the info... I went ahead and brewed it this past weekend. I am going to omit the additive all together and just use the 3lb can of Oregon apricot puree. I also used the full 1oz of Cascade for 60 min and even added an oz of Amarillo for 5 mins... but I am a hophead, so I couldn't imagine it any other way. I've been tweaking a hoppy apricot ale recipe that was similar to Dogfish Head's Aprihop, but after trying the Paragon Apricot Blonde, I decided it was much better to go that way (BIG apricot!) Will let you know how it turns out

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #18
Philip_T
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Golden, CO
Posts: 115

subscribed
__________________

On Deck Circle: Apricot Ale
Fermenting: Belgian Quad
Fermenting: Amarillo Ale
Bottled: AHS Stone Russian Imperial Stout clone kit

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:14 AM   #19
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
eulipion2's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2006
Hawley, PA
Posts: 1,681
Liked 86 Times on 66 Posts


Anyone have updates on this one? I have a friend who wants something similar to Magic Hat #9 for their wedding, and this seems like it might fit the bill. That said, I'm not a fan of fruit extracts/essences, so I'd probably just go with the fruit puree.

Thanks in advance.
__________________
Primary:
Kegged: Bohemian Pilsner; Czech Dark Lager; Citra/Calipso IPL; Cream Ale; Cherry Cider; Dry Stout
Bottled: Belgian Golden Strong; Quad; Saison; Norwegian Farmhouse Ale; Mosaic Session Brett; Saison Americain; Session Saison

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #20
kenan
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Boulder, CO
Posts: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulipion2 View Post
Anyone have updates on this one? I have a friend who wants something similar to Magic Hat #9 for their wedding, and this seems like it might fit the bill. That said, I'm not a fan of fruit extracts/essences, so I'd probably just go with the fruit puree.

Thanks in advance.
I have brewed this a couple of times, omitting the extract and just using the 3 lb can of Oregon Apricot Puree. It has a pretty mild apricot flavor compared to the Dry Dock Paragon Apricot Blonde, but it's still pretty tasty. It's a nice, mild, smooth session type beer. Good for a wedding I say. If you haven't tried Dry Dock's version, it's a must. That thing is amazing... packed full of apricot flavor but still nice and balanced.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
T-58 in Blond Ale? mrphillips Fermentation & Yeast 6 01-03-2014 07:54 PM
one-cubed oat blond ipa Mayhew DIY Projects 3 08-19-2013 02:47 PM
Looking for something between a Blond and an APA jwalker1140 Recipes/Ingredients 4 09-06-2012 10:52 PM
1st Tiem Brewing with Apricot Puree- American Apricot Wheat Ale Bobshannon1 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 12 06-09-2010 04:46 PM
Apricot Blond is a Winner! BigKahuna General Beer Discussion 5 08-08-2008 02:59 PM


Forum Jump