Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Extract - Easy Chimay Blue clone

Old 10-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #111
LordHumungus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAStout
It was still at 1.030 last Monday. That same day, I added some yeast nutrient and stirred the wort. I'll check the gravity again tonight.
Have a 1.026. Local Homebrew Shop told me to apply more started yeast.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:53 AM   #112
JAStout
Recipes 

It's still at 1.030. How big of a starter should I make for this?

Old 10-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #113
LordHumungus
Recipes 

[QUOTE="LordHumungus"]Just got my batch into the primary fermenter last night, with a OG 1.076. Had to use Karos syrup, and used White Labs Trappist yeast. Can't wait!

Day 4 - Still bubbling at a healthy level but definitely slowing. Added another 16 oz of Karos (total 32) per brew shops advice.

Day 7 - Stopped bubbling, transferred to secondary but probably too early. Gravity 1.026. May need to repitch, but will wait 10 days.

Day 14 - Tastes quite good. Fruity, ever so slightly bitter aftertaste. Gravity steady at 1.026. Anyone think I need to repitch?

Day 17 Added another vial of White Labs Trappist yeast last night. Bubbling every 6-10 seconds, hopefully that will get my FG down to where it needs to be. A little worried about low oxygen, but I guess much of the fermentation is anaerobic at this point.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #114
adagiogray
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Keep in mind, I'm relatively new myself, but I'll relay what I've come across so far.

You may have racked it off too early. Just because it's not bubbling away doesn't mean the ferment is done, especially if the krausen/head was still up. Especially with the big beers, only 1 week in the primary is probably not long enough. I did this recipe without a secondary, just leaving it in the primary a full month. It's ok to let it sit on the trub a few weeks, it's not going to give it off flavors. So long as your gravity in the primary is still dropping, it's not time to rack it. I just racked right to the bottling bucket, and both batches I've done have been pretty clear. Chimay is a yeasty, cloudy beer, and I dare say mine was clearer than Chimay without racking at all to a secondary.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #115
LordHumungus
Recipes 

Ugh, I was thinking the same thing. It's down to 1.020, which is encouraging.

The flavor is evolving, but it has a bitter bite to it. Frustrating because of the long conditioning time may yield cap, but you have to take bold steps sometimes to get better!

Old 10-18-2011, 01:57 AM   #116
adagiogray
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHumungus View Post
Ugh, I was thinking the same thing. It's down to 1.020, which is encouraging.

The flavor is evolving, but it has a bitter bite to it. Frustrating because of the long conditioning time may yield cap, but you have to take bold steps sometimes to get better!
Yeah, my second go at this ended up finishing at 1.018. It seems to have a little of that alcohol harshness, but it mellows quite nicely in 4-8 weeks. Was your white labs yeast the WLP500 Chimay or did you go with a different one?

Old 10-21-2011, 03:22 AM   #117
LordHumungus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adagiogray

Yeah, my second go at this ended up finishing at 1.018. It seems to have a little of that alcohol harshness, but it mellows quite nicely in 4-8 weeks. Was your white labs yeast the WLP500 Chimay or did you go with a different one?
It was the Chimay, and I only started with one vial but added a second. I went to the local homebrew place (again) and we identified the bitter taste as acetaldehyde, which will go away with time.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #118
shanlmt
Recipes 

After 2 weeks in primary, 5 weeks in secondary, and 2 weeks in the bottle, I couldn't stand it anymore and had to taste one. The taste was nice, still a little hot and no carbonation yet. I'm really hoping that over time it gets some carbonation. I guess I will have to be patient and wait at least another month

Old 10-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #119
LordHumungus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanlmt
After 2 weeks in primary, 5 weeks in secondary, and 2 weeks in the bottle, I couldn't stand it anymore and had to taste one. The taste was nice, still a little hot and no carbonation yet. I'm really hoping that over time it gets some carbonation. I guess I will have to be patient and wait at least another month
Oops I lied. I used the Trappist Yeast.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #120
LordHumungus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHumungus

It was the Chimay, and I only started with one vial but added a second. I went to the local homebrew place (again) and we identified the bitter taste as acetaldehyde, which will go away with time.
Corrected: I used Trappist yeast.