Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Conditioning Temperature

Old 07-26-2008, 06:58 AM   #1
PalmBeachPaul
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Conditioning Temperature

Hi Guys, I have an Ed Wort House Pale Ale in my secondary for about 5 days. I want to make it the clearest possible, so I know I need to crash cold the secondary for several days, but I'm not sure when. Should I wait another 10 days an then crash cold or can start the ice bath now? Another question, how cold is "crash cold"? I don't have a fridge for my secondary so I use a big cooler full of water and iced bottles.
The other thing is when I racked from the primary to the secondary, I tasted a little bit and it was really bitter. Will the hard bitter taste mellow after 2 weeks in the secondary?
Thank you for your help.
Cheers

Old 07-26-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

You can crash cool it now if you want to. When I crash cool I get the Keezer down to 33-34 degrees and then put the carboy in for 3-5 days.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 07-26-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
PalmBeachPaul
Recipes 

Thanks Riclark, I don't have too much space in my cooler, I hope I can bring the temperature down to 34 degrees with the iced bottles. I apologize for my ignorance, but I'm new in this, what is a Keezer??
Thanks again.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
tarheels
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i've got a batch of ESB in the primary now for 7 days. should i transfer the beer to the secondary and then crash cool or crash cool in the primary then go to the secondary then keg. i also want to dry hop this somewhere in all this.