Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > lumpy yeast cake
Old 07-26-2008, 01:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default lumpy yeast cake

I transferred my last batch into the keg and was going to wash my yeast when the sediment consisted of lumpy looking yeast. I've never run into this before, should I go ahead and wash it or is the yeast bad? The sample had a off flavor I couldn't place. It was also the first time I've used a counterflow wort chiller. heres a pic, it was taken as your looking down into the carboy.

Just made: amarillo wheat
On Tap:milk stout, caramel ale, oatmeal stout
up next: centennial ale
Old 07-26-2008, 03:02 AM   #2
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looks fine to me. Some strains clump up, some don't. No biggie.
[I'm back!]
Old 07-26-2008, 03:04 AM   #3
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Liked 2911 Times on 1714 Posts
Likes Given: 3534

You're fine...All yeastcakes are different, and some are down right hideous...I just realized tonight I hate notingham, mostly because of the krauzen curdles.
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew