Show Me Your Wood Brew Sculpture/Rig - Page 16 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Show Me Your Wood Brew Sculpture/Rig

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2010, 11:09 PM   #151
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
wilserbrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jersey Shore, New Jersey
Posts: 9,702
Liked 1465 Times on 1115 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kappclark View Post
Are those 2 heatsticks ?
Yep...2 heat sticks at 2000w each. I have also removed the third tier, and have simply chosen to transfer the sparge water w/ the one gallon pitcher, I actually find it easier and faster than gravity draining the HLT.

Here is my present configuration...as you can see, I can't pass up a good deal on a brewpot...hah.
11 gal stainless bayou classic from costco...$23 with ss burner
15 gal alum w/ lid...$43 shipped
20 gal alum w/ lid...$25 c'list
20 gal heavy stainless...$50 c'list

edit...hah...that's where all the ping pong balls are.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:20 AM   #152
kappclark
 
kappclark's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2006
Southern VT
Posts: 1,590
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


I am planning to have the same setup, but am going to try using 2 bucket heaters - each abt half the wattage of your sticks...plan to use a timer night before... mash tun/cooler will ahve 4 gals of 164 deg water for the dough in. HLT will be on timer as well .. will need to tweak the timer to see what time period is best @1000W .. maybe 2 - 3 hours for 4 gals ?
__________________
Bill Clark
Windham, VT

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:49 AM   #153
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
wilserbrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jersey Shore, New Jersey
Posts: 9,702
Liked 1465 Times on 1115 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kappclark View Post
I am planning to have the same setup, but am going to try using 2 bucket heaters - each abt half the wattage of your sticks...plan to use a timer night before... mash tun/cooler will ahve 4 gals of 164 deg water for the dough in. HLT will be on timer as well .. will need to tweak the timer to see what time period is best @1000W .. maybe 2 - 3 hours for 4 gals ?

I would think 1 bucket heater would heat all the water you need given enough time...just load the hlt w/ all the water...no?

I would just try and overshoot temp...it is easy to temper down w/ cool water.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #154
willynilly
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Avon
Posts: 728
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kappclark View Post
I am planning to have the same setup, but am going to try using 2 bucket heaters - each abt half the wattage of your sticks...plan to use a timer night before... mash tun/cooler will ahve 4 gals of 164 deg water for the dough in. HLT will be on timer as well .. will need to tweak the timer to see what time period is best @1000W .. maybe 2 - 3 hours for 4 gals ?
If you are using coolers, if not this wont apply....

4 gallons is 34 pounds of water

34 x 109F temp delta (55-164F)

3706 BTUs to reach that temp. in that volume

1kW is 3412 BTUs

1:06 to reach the temp you desire in 4 gallons (55-164F)


If you are using a NON insulated vessel, it may double... as it is taking so long to heat, you are giving the water a lot of time to radiate heat to ambient.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #155
MrShake
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Posts: 1,280
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


10 Gallon Capable single Tier... soon to be eHERMS

__________________
MrShake - Top Hat Brewery and Tapworks
Owner of BrewTroller

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:07 AM   #156
kappclark
 
kappclark's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2006
Southern VT
Posts: 1,590
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by willynilly View Post
If you are using coolers, if not this wont apply....

4 gallons is 34 pounds of water

34 x 109F temp delta (55-164F)

3706 BTUs to reach that temp. in that volume

1kW is 3412 BTUs

1:06 to reach the temp you desire in 4 gallons (55-164F)


If you are using a NON insulated vessel, it may double... as it is taking so long to heat, you are giving the water a lot of time to radiate heat to ambient.
started at 44///
lid slightly open

90 mins now at 134
__________________
Bill Clark
Windham, VT

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:11 AM   #157
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
wilserbrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jersey Shore, New Jersey
Posts: 9,702
Liked 1465 Times on 1115 Posts


Nice system Mr. Shake...how about a closeup of the control box w/ details...thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:10 AM   #158
willynilly
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Avon
Posts: 728
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kappclark View Post
started at 44///
lid slightly open

90 mins now at 134


Dang...

That is only netting about 60% of your BTUs/Wattage

At that rate it will take you about 2 hours to get from 44F to 165F in 4 gallons (2000 BTu/hr)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:36 PM   #159
MrShake
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Posts: 1,280
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Nice system Mr. Shake...how about a closeup of the control box w/ details...thanks.
Here is the whole kit and kaboodle
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/mrsh...rewery-152141/

I really should link to that in my signature!
__________________
MrShake - Top Hat Brewery and Tapworks
Owner of BrewTroller

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:27 PM   #160
mariojr
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Raleigh,NC
Posts: 302
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts


Here's my simple system in IC mode. The best thing about it being wood is you can easily alter or add things with a simple cordless drill and some screws.


 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Show us your sculpture or brew rig Onescalerguy Brew Stands 4011 Yesterday 03:32 AM
My new brew sculpture Lil' Sparky All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 28 04-04-2016 07:26 PM
First all grain brew (with amazing brew sculpture pic) alpo All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 15 02-14-2016 03:32 AM
brew sculpture? beerme Equipment/Sanitation 10 09-18-2013 02:40 AM
Brew Sculpture ? lpdean Equipment/Sanitation 13 05-13-2009 11:40 AM


Forum Jump