Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Anyone familiar with "Global Beer Network?"

Old 07-27-2008, 03:44 AM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2888 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Beer Number 3 PIRAAT ALE

Quote:
Voted overall Best Amber Beer (Gold medal) in the California Microbrew Beer Festival 1995.

In the 17th and 18th century, strong ale like the Piraat was highly prized by the seafaring captains for its keeping qualities and its high and healthy food value. The daily distribution of a pint of this ale kept the pirates in good health and gave them the spirit to survive the hard life on the sea. One had no water on a ship, but wine or strong beer that could be kept for months on the sea. Piraat is a wickedly rich and rounded brew that packs a mighty punch. The powerful glow builds up from inside. Deep golden with a subtle haze. Lots of hops and malt. Mild sweetness. Reminiscent of bread dough, spices and tropical fruits.

Piraat Ale (billed on the website as an amber triple IPA, 10.5% ABV)

Appearance
- Another starsan like head poured from this bottle, this time getting three quarters into the glass before the head reached the lip of the snifter. Another meringue like head, this time seeming to be made up of a mixture of large and small bubbles.

The beer itself is a hazy gold in color resembling golden apricots.

There is a hint of lacing left on the glass after the foam falls (took over 5 minute) and a nice, small, creamy head on the surface.

Aroma - Cold the beer has the barest hint of apple as did the previous two brouwerij Van Seenberge Beers. There is also a hint of apricot.

Upon warming slightly, the nose picks up a trace of alcohol.

No hop aroma in evidence, cold or warm/

Mouthfeel - This is another one of those effervescence balance with silky mouth and tongue coating beers, though this time it leans to towards silky, like a hot toddy made with honey, whiskey and warm water.

There is also a noticeable alcohol "bite" on the tip of the tongue, as well as a bit of a burn as it goes down the throat, similar to any number of liguors, such as brandy, especially as it warmed significantly.

Taste - There is absolutely none of the "hints of sourness" as with the previous 2 beers. The flavor is apricot, apple, and honey, with a ginger "burn" which may simply be from the alcohol and not the spice.

It is noticeably sweeter than the previous too, but not cloyingly so.

As it warms, more of the apple tartness comes through. At it's warmist there is a strong alcohol bite on the tongue and lips as well as a highly pronounce hoppiness, although the hop is not identifiable to me.

Overall - This is exquisite. This is one of the best commercial beers I have ever had the pleasure of drinking, let alone the best of the 3 sampled. I have not had too many versions of the Triple style....I believe I have had 2-3 other commercial versions, one amazing one from a local microbrewery and an excellent one from one of my brew bodies. And except perhaps for the one from the microbrewery (Dragonmeade) this surpasses them all.

But is this a Triple or is it an IPA/Triple hybrid? Perhaps it shouldn't be judged in comparison to those that are truer to style.

The history of this beer is that it is very similar to that brewed to keep on the long voyage as a food suplement for the Flemish freebooters on long voyages.

Letting it warm to it's fullest lifts it fully out of the category of "mere" beer and places it squarely alongside brandy as an after dinner aperitif, along side a good cigar.....This could go head to head against any of the 4 Calvado's types, even the 6 year old Hors d'Age...I wonder how this would cellar.

This is what you bring out to seduce a lovely stranger over a game of chess in front of a roaring fire.

Grade A+

I have been considering brewing a triple for some time now...but after tasting this I think I would love to brew a clone of this, if soley to have this on hand. (and hopefully for much cheaper than 2 cases of this would cost, considering that at where I bought this set, a single 330 ml bottle retails for close to 4 dollars.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-16-2008, 04:26 AM   #12
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
The interesting this is that they guy at the store said to make sure you re-rouse the yeast before you pour them...I've never heard that before....Anyone know for sure???
Yes I have heard of that before. I read it on a bottle of beer, believe it was a hefe(possibly paulaner?) It said to pour slowly leaving the last 1/2" in the bottle then swirl and pour the remainder straight in. I think it had to do with getting the flavor and aroma in the head.

Revvy if you find any of these recipes particularly Gulden Draak please let me know. I don't know if I would agree with how they described it, But I enjoyed it enough to brew it. I didn't get much of a head on mine, the hop flavor was light to nonexistent and I still loved that beer. Maybe I finally learning to appreciate the belgian fruitiness.

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:22 AM   #13
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerthirty View Post
Yes I have heard of that before. I read it on a bottle of beer, believe it was a hefe(possibly paulaner?) It said to pour slowly leaving the last 1/2" in the bottle then swirl and pour the remainder straight in. I think it had to do with getting the flavor and aroma in the head.

Revvy if you find any of these recipes particularly Gulden Draak please let me know. I don't know if I would agree with how they described it, But I enjoyed it enough to brew it. I didn't get much of a head on mine, the hop flavor was light to nonexistent and I still loved that beer. Maybe I finally learning to appreciate the belgian fruitiness.
I see you found my piraat recipe thread...There's a couple of Gulden Drakk recipes floating around as well, the beertools recipe index has a couple....I still haven't opened, when I picked up the sixer, the guy at the store suggested the order I drink them, saving the Draak for last.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #14
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears

Recipes 

Cant wait to read your review, to see if my tasting abilities have improved. I had already had a few others before trying the Draak, so I was sightly impaired.
planning- Cru?

Old 08-16-2008, 03:56 PM   #15
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Cant wait to read your review, to see if my tasting abilities have improved. I had already had a few others before trying the Draak, so I was sightly impaired.

I've been saving the other three, as well as a bottle of Bell's 3rd coast old ale for when I get some time to sit and make notes while drinking. This weel for some reason, every time I wanted to do it, I immediately thought it would be too much work, when all I really wanted to do was enjoy a beer.

I have set a "rule" for myself to make tasting notes/review every new beer I try...I kinda wish I had started that years ago...I'd have quite a nifty journal of my beer journey.

I'm doing it to both improve my tasting skills/palate, and my writing skills as well.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:04 PM   #16
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears

Recipes 

I have started this also. I think it is working because the notes seem to get longer each time. There are always a few that get noted as simple "satan's anus" or "find recipe soon" I had one of each last week at Papago's.
planning- Cru?

Old 08-16-2008, 04:10 PM   #17
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
I have started this also. I think it is working because the notes seem to get longer each time. There are always a few that get noted as simple "satan's anus" or "find recipe soon" I had one of each last week at Papago's.
LOL, Once again Evan's influence spreads it's wings over us!!!

Old 08-17-2008, 11:27 PM   #18
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears

Recipes 

I went and did it. Yesterday bought a Piraat ale(never had) and a Gulden Draak(had one last week and liked it) to compare. I drank the Piraat last night or at least most of it. it was excellent. I would agree with Revvy on most of his notes. I never got the horse sweat and leather but that might have been his association with the tart apple, not sure. My association was of Uncle Hanks orchid in fall(tart apple combined with slightly overripe apple like on the ground around the trees). I also detected the sweet gum aroma, reminded me of Juicy Fruit. I think I have found my new favorite Belgian. I have been drinking the Gulden Draak tonight and although a bit cleaner does not have the complexity of the Piraat. I will stop here as I don't want to hijack Revvy's thread, and as a last thought wonder how a Piraat with Gulden Draak yeast might taste.
planning- Cru?

Old 08-18-2008, 05:26 AM   #19
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The two Bornem beers are the least interesting in that box to me. The Piraat and the Draak are both fantastic. All in all, 3 bucks a bottle for those is a good deal, and that brewery makes pretty darn good stuff.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:48 AM   #20
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Strange phenom. In my area, Beers like Gulden Draak, Bornem and Piraat are Very Cheap. Mostly like 2.50 or 3.50 a bottle and I think I find an untapped resource. They are great beer s but because most do not like them they are cheap. Local beer store had Bornem on sale for 1.50 a bottle.