Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > long fermentation is long

Old 07-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
BeerPressure
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default long fermentation is long

I brewed a belgian wit on July 13th, with a white labs liquid yeast starter. The damn thing is still going, the airlock has slow activity and last time i checked the gravity a few days ago it was about 1.018 and the target FG is 1.010. The krausen hasnt fallen yet either.

what is taking it so long?

Old 07-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Yeast are a living thing, they have their own agenda, and it is usually different that ours...This is a game of, patience, son.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

that's only 11 days. That's not exceptionally long. Some yeast will take up to 3 weeks to finish. The wit yeast and saison yeasts are known for doing this, so I would just ride it out and see how it goes.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Being in Buffalo as you are, I am going to assume that you have it fermenting at the optimum temp or higher. Also, OG? Did you make a yeast starter to check if your vial was viable? And good to see your using a hydrometer and not just going on airlock activity. I have seen that with slower fermentations the krausen wont fall as fast. If you give it a gentle rock the krausen should slowly start to fall back into solution or drop out into trub.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
BeerPressure
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It was down to 1.010 this morning so I racked it to the secondary for a week before i bottle.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Good news!!!!

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew