National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > unorthodox bottling methods

Old 07-24-2008, 06:09 AM   #1
Ninjaneer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default unorthodox bottling methods

I've just added homebrewing to my ever-growing list of hobbies... but this means I've got a few tricks...

for example... I'm working on some alternative bottling solutions:

which will soon be fired and slip-cast into set molds of 6, then I'll add pivots for Grolsch-type flip top stoppers.

Also:

which I'll also slipcast in plaster set molds of 4. They'll be corked-and-wired shut. Probably will end up custom-glazing all of them.

Does anyone know if clay or porcelain will negatively effect beer flavor?

I'll post some pictures when I get done with the molds and get some of these bad boys glazed.

Alternately... if anyone's in the market for a hand thrown ceramic tap tower? ... I could use the $$ to get started on my steampunk kegerator.

cheers.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:34 AM   #2
ohad
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

first of all, thumbs up for your creativity and originality!!!

(disclaimer: talking out of logic, not experience)

Now, I never used clay... but I do know a thing or two about it since my neighbor is a potter.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that clay is porous. it evaporates liquid that defuses through the surface, hence I imagine its no the best sanitary solution. Another point is that clay should be very hard to sanitize, plus it can absorb your sanitation solution. It will be a shame to use your great artwork for only a single batch, and not being able to refill.

that being said, if you'll do an internal glazing, you should on the safe side. porcelain should be a good solution as well

Old 07-24-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2842 Times on 1687 Posts
Likes Given: 3502

They look cool!!!! How are you going to pressure test them? It'd be a shame if they became home-made bottle bombs...

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-24-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
Homercidal
Badass Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3018 Times on 2107 Posts
Likes Given: 1835

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohad View Post
first of all, thumbs up for your creativity and originality!!!

(disclaimer: talking out of logic, not experience)

Now, I never used clay... but I do know a thing or two about it since my neighbor is a potter.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that clay is porous. it evaporates liquid that defuses through the surface, hence I imagine its no the best sanitary solution. Another point is that clay should be very hard to sanitize, plus it can absorb your sanitation solution. It will be a shame to use your great artwork for only a single batch, and not being able to refill.

that being said, if you'll do an internal glazing, you should on the safe side. porcelain should be a good solution as well
I'm no expert, but I'm assuming that they are going to glaze and fire these so make them smooth, shiney, and non-porous before actually filling them with beer.

I'd probably not spend a ton of money on them, but they would be cool to show off on those special occassions. Maybe if you were doing ren faires or period re-enactments or something too.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #5
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Very nice. Let us know if they work. I would defiantly pressure test them in a safe environment first though.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 07-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2911 Times on 2840 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Yes I would agree and 3rd the pressure test. Also how are you going to glaze the inside? I would imagine the rough clay surface would not be good for sanitizing as mentioned.

But VERY NICE work!'If not for bottling you could alwasy use them for serving?

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 07-24-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2842 Times on 1687 Posts
Likes Given: 3502

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Yes I would agree and 3rd the pressure test. Also how are you going to glaze the inside? I would imagine the rough clay surface would not be good for sanitizing as mentioned.

But VERY NICE work!'If not for bottling you could alwasy use them for serving?

A loooong time ago I used to make japanese Shakuhachi bamboo flutes, one way to glaze the inside of a vessel (or tube) is to fill it with glaze, let it sit for a bit, then swirl it around to coat, then pour out...I imagine that that would work here as well.

(kinda like sanitizing a carboy)

I really hope they hold up to the pressure test..they're bitchin'

Even if they can't hold beer pressure, could you imagine bottling you apfelwein or mead in those bad-boys?

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-24-2008, 03:36 PM   #9
Brewin_Bob
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Wow, I must say I'm envious of your talent! Truly bitchin' pieces of artwork. Imagine pouring something (I'm thinking cider/apfelwein) out of one of these for someone! I think it adds to the presentation, thus enhancing the product within. You may end up with a bunch of homebrewers ordering pieces from you! Congrats!

-- Kings Full Brewery --
-- Currently Being Remodeled --

Primary:None
Secondary:None
Conditioning:Lemstrac Wine, first mead
Bottled:None

Old 07-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #10
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Very nice job. Hope your idea works out.
Are you perhaps the hand model for the movie Ghost?