Rice Wine? - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Rice Wine?

Old 02-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #21
Taylor-MadeAK
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Anchorage, AK
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I'll admit that's the first time I've seen that recipe not being billed as a recipe for sake. You may or may not enjoy the end result, but I would like to correct you on one matter: This recipe will not yield something equivalent to "whisky potency." Whisky is generally around 40% alcohol by volume, while the maximum this recipe will yield will be around 16% ABV. It may taste very alcoholic, but that's due to higher weight alcohols known as fusels that are produced by yeast when allowed to ferment at higher temperature ranges. Those are the same compounds that cause hangovers, so caution is advised.

If you ever want to try your hand at making real sake, click the link in my sig.

Stratispho Likes This 
Old 03-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #22
rocky6501

Recipes 

Jun 2010
San Bernardino, CA

I endorse Taylor-MadeAK's resources. I'm currently building my moto, having built up my Koji culture over the weekend, surprisingly successfully, I might add.

BTW, Taylor-Made, I just posted a question about storing the Koji in the short term while building up my batch. If you have a moment, I'd appreciate any advice you may lend:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/sake...e-koji-229290/

Old 03-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #23
Taylor-MadeAK
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Anchorage, AK
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sure, I'll have a look. =)

Old 01-17-2016, 05:08 PM   #24
bigbeer
Recipes 

Jan 2013
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFroggatt View Post
Spotted this forum & thought I'd post this 'Rice whisky' recipe which I got from a book which my mum gave to me last year, called '500 Recipes Home-made Wines & Drinks' by Marguerite Patten', just in case it's of use to anyone. The recipe & ingredients are really simple (which is good as I'm a complete newcomer to wine-making!) - I've tried the recipe & it's currently in the process of maturing, but it seems to smell extremely potent so far! The book says it's apparently similar in taste, colour & potency to whisky.

Rice whisky recipe:
3 lbs carolina or short grain rice
1 lb raisins (chopped)
3 lbs sugar
Juice of 1 lemon (believe this equates to 2 tbsp)
8 pts warm water
1 oz yeast

Put rice/ raisins/ sugar/ lemon juice & water into large bowl. Add yeast (which should have been dissolved in a little warm water). Let mixture stand in warm place, covered with cloth, for 12 days, but stir occasionally for first 3 days. A scum will rise to top, but do not remove this until the last day. Filter into clean cask or stone jar. Store for 6 months in a cool place, then bottle.
What kind of yeast would be recommended for this?

Old 01-17-2016, 05:20 PM   #25
ChefRex
I once had a thought,
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2012
Woodbridge, NJ
Liked 4585 Times on 2741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeer View Post
What kind of yeast would be recommended for this?
Being he posted that 5 years ago and it was his only post I tend to doubt that you'll get a response

Oh, shaddup already!

Old 06-08-2016, 12:05 PM   #26
mirrored
Recipes 

Jun 2016
London, London, SW

Me and my friend tried to brew a batch of rice wine a year back - it as a typical bottle for winemaking, I don't remember the exact procedure, but I don't it's that important as well since we've everything by the book - and the book was essentially correct.

but to the point - the plan failed. We've kep the bottle in room temperature which at that time was about 20C, and the result was no a wine but a slightly alcoholic-tasting a bit glue-like substance, awfully sweet. So the sugar didn't go through the chemical procedure it was supposed to - what might have happened? We suspect that we didn't isolate the bottle and some air might have come into it. Is that a correct way of thinking? I'd like to know before giving a next try. And perhaps it ios something different, like the kind of rice used, some slight mistake with proportion or something like that?