Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Moving (possibly) into kegging

Old 07-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
flyangler18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Moving (possibly) into kegging

Hello all,

I've been brewing about 6 months and I'm considering moving into kegging, but am trying to do so economically. My current production schedule usually has 2-3 batches ready to drink at any one time, and current space limitations make a full-size kegerator impossible. I'm looking for a system that would allow 2 corny kegs ready to serve at any time, preferring to do a DIY build (I enjoy the process). Would 'dorm style' fridges suitably hold 2 cornys + tank? I could always mount the tank to the outside, if necessary.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Do the Sanyo 4912 (or Oyster equivalent) Look in my gallery for some pics of mine or do a google search and you'll find LOTS of how to's

Kegging is awesome....I drink my beer faster and have to brew more but hey...those are positives!

Old 07-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
Laurel

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The sanyo 4912 is discontinued from what I've run into. When it was in production, it was difficult to find too. Bestbuy carries(d) it, so you might try the local one, I couldn't get one at my local bbuy. Fry's sells it also, but if there's not one near you, shipping is insane. I ended up ordering mine from costco, they pay shipping, I just had to pay tax. I don't think they require you to be a member to order from their website. The oster requires a little bit more modification, you have to move the thermostat housing IIRC, and I think some extra stuff has to be cut out from the inside.

I used this website to order the rest of the stuff I need http://stores.kegconnection.com/StoreFront.bok They have great customer service, and better prices than most places. They do charge shipping, so if you can find kegs locally, it will save you money, but they let you customize your kit to your specs. I dropped the kegs from mine and added perlick faucets. The total came out to $367 or something after shipping, and I also got rebuild kits and o ring grease. This is the kit that I got http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=55

I'm expecting it to cost me around $650 for everything.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Yup +1 for Kegconnection They took a while with me but they came through really well.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
flyangler18
Recipes 

I need to start checking the classifieds for the local paper and Craigslist to see if I can score something decent.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
flyangler18
Recipes 

UPDATE: Just found a chest freezer on the cheap that might just fit the bill. Might be a good intro into kegging sooner than I thought possible!

Old 07-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #7
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

SWEET! Do it!

Old 07-23-2008, 05:30 PM   #8
flyangler18
Recipes 

Quote:
SWEET! Do it!
I totally should. I don't find bottling to be a huge chore, but having beers on tap certainly has its appeal.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:44 PM   #9
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Oh it definitely does! Bottling wasn't that bad but man, kegging has really changed how I brew.

I LOVE being able to pour just a small 4-6oz taster when I want.....or fill my big ass mug!

I honestly drink more now than I did when I bottled but then, like I said, I brew more now too so it's been a good thing.....

Old 07-23-2008, 06:03 PM   #10
findthefish
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Do It! Hurry!

The Bruery Provisions - Homebrewing supplies and equipment.
BrewCommune - Orange County home brew club, yeast database, recipes, and forum.

On Deck: Belgian IPA
Primary: nothing
Secondary: Traditional Mead
Kegged: APA, Cream Ale, Belgian Ale, Sour Belgian, Barrel Aged RIS