Oaked Brown Ale- recipes, tips, suggestions? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Oaked Brown Ale- recipes, tips, suggestions?

Old 07-23-2008, 01:50 AM   #1
elkdog
Recipes 

May 2007
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'm hoping to brew a beer in a couple of weeks that will be a Christmas beer/present for my dad. He loves brown ales and bourbon, so I'm thinking of oaking a brown ale for him, maybe with a little of grandpa's cough medicine in it to make a Bourbon Barrel Brown. My inspiration comes from Jamil's Southern English Brown show, where John Plise talks about a bigger southern brown that is oaked.

Has anyone oaked a brown before? I'm looking to have a moderate oak flavor; more than subtle but not strong. How much American Oak should I use (leaning toward American because it seems that will give more of a bourbon-y oakiness - correct me if I'm wrong)? Also, does anyone have a good recipe for a slightly higher gravity (1.060 or up) brown? I want this to be a bit of a warmer for the winter months, and Jamil's recipe seems a little small for that. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

Soak some oak cubes in bourbon while the beer is fermenting, then while it's in secondary add the cubes. My experience with oak has told me a little goes a long way, so you may have to keep testing the oakiness and remove them when they get enough wood flavor.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
elkdog
Recipes 

May 2007
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Sorry that I didn't see this until today- had company over the weekend. Bourbon soaked cubes sounds like a plan. Thanks EvilTOJ.