Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg Force Carbing Methods Illustrated

Old 06-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #551
evandena
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanneltrees804

Did you shake the keg after setting it at 30psi? How carbed was the beer after 36 hours?
Nope, no shaking. I can't recall the carb level at that point. I usually won't touch it for at least a week, to let the carbonic bite settle down.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #552
wilsojos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evandena

Ive had good luck letting it go for 36 hours at 30 psi, then back down to serving for a few more days.
Do you release the pressure before you set it back to serving pressure? Pull the release valve?

Old 06-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #553
evandena
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsojos

Do you release the pressure before you set it back to serving pressure? Pull the release valve?
Yes. In summary:

Chill to serving temp while not on gas.
Set to 30 psi for 36 hours.
Turn off gas and purge pressure.
Turn gas back on at serving pressure.
Wait a few more days. Drink when you feel it's ready.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:33 AM   #554
BrewAlchemy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Dont want to thread hijack but on another note, 30 psi constantly for 4 days plus @ 30 psi for serving under a 10 foot 3/16 diameter hose would be sufficient for seltzer water/ club soda?

Old 06-07-2012, 05:23 AM   #555
zev
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I have 2 5g kegs of a pale ale I want ready for 10 days from now. i have one co2 tank with one line out, so i can only carb one at a time.
I currently have one 5g keg hook up with 30PSI since earlier today at room temp(i shook it a little when i first hooked up the gas), the other I just purged the oxygen out of(with the co2 tank @ 15PSI) and set aside at room temp ~70*.

Whats my best bet to have both of these ready?

Old 06-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #556
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1266 Times on 835 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewAlchemy View Post
Dont want to thread hijack but on another note, 30 psi constantly for 4 days plus @ 30 psi for serving under a 10 foot 3/16 diameter hose would be sufficient for seltzer water/ club soda?
4 days is a bit short and 10 feet of serving hose is also short for 30psi. This would be the equivalent of putting a beer on 12psi for 4 days and serving from 3 feet of line. Flat beer shooting out like a fire hose.

I believe soda takes about 30-40psi and requires 25' of 3/16 hose. This might be a good reason to try to source some 1/8" ID.
July 4th Sale, $20 off plate chillers through July 4th.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #557
evandena
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M

4 days is a bit short and 10 feet of serving hose is also short for 30psi. This would be the equivalent of putting a beer on 12psi for 4 days and serving from 3 feet of line. Flat beer shooting out like a fire hose.

I believe soda takes about 30-40psi and requires 25' of 3/16 hose. This might be a good reason to try to source some 1/8" ID.
Ouch. How slow does 1/8 dispense?

Old 06-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #558
evandena
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M

Ouch. How slow does 1/8 dispense?

Old 06-08-2012, 06:45 AM   #559
peterlonz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default pressure carbonation in kegs

It's just my opinion but two things frequently not mentioned:
1) Set & Forget requires the gas regulator to be permanently "on".
A possible consequence of this, is that if there is even a minute gas leak, you can lose the complete contents of your CO2 gas tank which is expensive & very annoying.
How likely is this; well it happened to me within a month of moving to kegs. Had I carefully done a soapy water gas leak; YES, the leak proved to be so small that this leak test was not likely to detect it. How many possible leak points are there - well count them up there are many & most rely on rubber O rings which do deteriorate.
2) If you just apply a relatively high pressure (50+ psi , say) to a more or less constant head space such as applies to a newly kegged (but cooled) brew, it's possible with a bit of experience to get quite close to the desired carbonation level within a week or so, although subsequent additions of gas at progressively lower pressures are required over perhaps another week.
I can't give a positive guide on this just yet, but it's relatively easy in practice & so far I have not over-carbed to any significant extent.
Not as precise as "set & forget" but easy & much less risky.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #560
letmeholleratya
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlonz
It's just my opinion but two things frequently not mentioned:
1) Set & Forget requires the gas regulator to be permanently "on".
A possible consequence of this, is that if there is even a minute gas leak, you can lose the complete contents of your CO2 gas tank which is expensive & very annoying.
How likely is this; well it happened to me within a month of moving to kegs. Had I carefully done a soapy water gas leak; YES, the leak proved to be so small that this leak test was not likely to detect it. How many possible leak points are there - well count them up there are many & most rely on rubber O rings which do deteriorate.
2) If you just apply a relatively high pressure (50+ psi , say) to a more or less constant head space such as applies to a newly kegged (but cooled) brew, it's possible with a bit of experience to get quite close to the desired carbonation level within a week or so, although subsequent additions of gas at progressively lower pressures are required over perhaps another week.
I can't give a positive guide on this just yet, but it's relatively easy in practice & so far I have not over-carbed to any significant extent.
Not as precise as "set & forget" but easy & much less risky.
If I don't crash the carboy before kegging, setting at 50 for 24 hours as it cools and then purging headspace gives me perfect carb level.