San Diego - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South West Homebrew Forum > San Diego

Old 07-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
Nate

Recipes 

Nov 2005
Virginia
Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts

Heading there for 4 days next month and looking for input on brew pubs, things not to miss, etc. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:00 PM   #2
Germey

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Rancho Bernardo, CA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Deep breath...
Stone, Lost Abbey, Port Brewing, Ballast Point, Alesmith, Lightning, Alpine, SD Brewing Co...
Crap, I can't do it in one breath. Go here instead.

Of course, the BEST thing to do is to hook up with local HBT'ers and drink beer.
When will you be in town and what will your availability be? Mine's spotty next month, but would enjoy meeting a visitor if I can.
What are your primary beer preferences?

Old 07-21-2008, 11:09 PM   #3
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 342 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germey View Post
Deep breath...
Stone, Lost Abbey, Port Brewing, Ballast Point, Alesmith, Lightning, Alpine, SD Brewing Co...

Of course, the BEST thing to do is to hook up with local HBT'ers and drink beer.
When will you be in town and what will your availability be? Mine's spotty next month, but would enjoy meeting a visitor if I can.
+1 on the local HBT'ers.

Great hospitality!

Old 07-21-2008, 11:29 PM   #4
Nate

Recipes 

Nov 2005
Virginia

Quote:
Deep breath...

Cool site. The wife is actually there for a conference and I got a very cheap ticket so decided to tag along. I'll drop you a PM once I get her schedule (i.e. our schedule). On the beer, we're more on the malty side than the hoppy side... stouts, porters, Scotch ales, etc during the colder months and like the wheats, wits, etc during the summer months.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:40 PM   #5

3 of my favorite San Diego bars

Hamiltons
http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&q=the+live+wire&near=San+Diego,+CA&fb=1&view=text&latlng=15545298650019071592&dtab=2&ei=HR6FSKy9Ioq6jgPl1ej0DQ&reviews=1&oi=more_rev&sa=XO'Brien's

Old 07-22-2008, 05:02 AM   #6
Germey

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Rancho Bernardo, CA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Cool site. The wife is actually there for a conference and I got a very cheap ticket so decided to tag along. I'll drop you a PM once I get her schedule (i.e. our schedule). On the beer, we're more on the malty side than the hoppy side... stouts, porters, Scotch ales, etc during the colder months and like the wheats, wits, etc during the summer months.
Wow, so your wife is busy all day and you are free to do whatever? I am unfortunately busy during the day but can help you plan your time for maximum entertainment value. We can even try to make sure you end up close to her conference so she can pick your drunk a$$ up

Old 07-22-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
Nate

Recipes 

Nov 2005
Virginia

Quote:
Wow, so your wife is busy all day and you are free to do whatever? I am unfortunately busy during the day but can help you plan your time for maximum entertainment value. We can even try to make sure you end up close to her conference so she can pick your drunk a$$ up
Sounds like a great plan. PM to follow...

Old 07-22-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
Nate

Recipes 

Nov 2005
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewtopia View Post
3 of my favorite San Diego bars

Hamiltons
The Live Wire
O'Brien's
Appreciate it. Will try to squeeze at least one of these in...

Old 07-22-2008, 05:09 PM   #9
Freezeblade
Recipes 

May 2008
Oakland, California
Liked 27 Times on 14 Posts

Well, I live a 5 min walk from downtown, I'm kinda new so I don't really know of all the HBTers in the area, but as for bars? I really like Hamiltons, the Stout Public house (kinda a little-known one, great food too), and The Blarney Stone (when it's open) run me a holler if you need help finding your way around, lots to do in San Diego, so little time to do it in.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 07-22-2008, 05:19 PM   #10
Displaced MassHole

Recipes 

May 2008
San Diego
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Dont forget to stop by Home brew mart, the LHBS I frequent. They're also a brewery, Ballast Point, and have all their stuff on tap to try right in the shop. Its only a few mins away from Old Town and not hard to find. Calahans is also a great place to go with great Irish Nachos and some local brews on tap, its in Mira Mesa which is a lil bit of a drive out of the city but not that far away.