Now I remember why I brew! - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Now I remember why I brew!

Old 07-20-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 697 Times on 513 Posts

85 degrees here with high humidity. All day long I've been hacking away at the roots of a large tree stump. I can only go about ten minutes, then need a 15 minute break to cool down. Normally I would have a few BMCs during the breaks and have some HB at the end of the day. I believe there is a time and situation for every beer, even BMC. Busch lite in today's case.

Today tough, I started out on the HB. An ordinary bitter. I had it a bit cooler than I would normally, (45 degrees) It slid down really well during each break and served me well while reading the posts on this forum.

At 1:30 pm I'm starting to worry about my fast depleting stock of bitter, so I switch to a really cold Busch.......Totally undrinkable!! Even ice cold it just tastes like a rabid monkey took time off from playing in elephant dung to piss in my mouth!!

Now, I have no real axe to grind with BMC. I drink it often, and it works well sometimes, especially when working hard in heat like today........

But never, ever again will I be foolish enough to drink any BMC straight AFTER a few bottles of the real stuff.

I am going to get myself a reminder tattooed on my drinking hand. "Don't try that again, dumbass!!"

Old 07-20-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts

Quote:
... tastes like a rabid monkey took time off from playing in elephant dung to piss in my mouth!!
So, it's monkey piss before homebrew. Who ever knew?

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #3
TwoHeadsBrewing

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Chico, CA
Liked 39 Times on 36 Posts

HAHA, I just had a similar experience Friday night. Went to play poker with the guys, and brought a sixer of my HB West Coast IPA, and a sixer of Edwort's Kolsch. Everyone loved the brew, and I got some great compliments...and consequently it disappeared pretty fast! After that we dove into the SN Summerfest, which was very good...and it went downhill from there. By the end of the night, I was getting pretty druck and grabbed a Lowenbrau....yes, that's right a f*&king Lowenbrau! I had never had one before, and I think I never will again. I know it's not BMC, but seriously I would've rather had a Coors Light.

Anyway, I agree that if one MUST drink BMC or some other variant...then one should do so BEFORE drinking homebrew or any other good stuff.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 07-20-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Ohio
Liked 63 Times on 55 Posts

I haven't had BMC in a long time, but SWMBO has some in the fridge. I may have to pop open a BL this evening to remind me why brewing is so friggin cool.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado
Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus View Post
I may have to pop open a BL this evening to remind me why brewing is so friggin cool.
Now Now...There's no reason to go to those kinds of extreems. Just pop into the local Beer Barn and shell out $11.00 for a 6 pack of good beer. That's all the reminder I need.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:39 PM   #6
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Recipes 

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus View Post
I haven't had BMC in a long time, but SWMBO has some in the fridge. I may have to pop open a BL this evening to remind me why brewing is so friggin cool.
If you want to do the experiment properly you need to have a good HB 5 minutes before the BL.

I reckon you will be in line behind me for the drinking hand tattoo.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:06 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 88 Times on 73 Posts

Busch Light? Well there's yer goddamn problem. Might as well've been drinking Keystone Light. Try a respectable american lager like PBR. Believe me, not all of them are that bad.

I just snuck a pint of my still-carbonating Munchner Hell, and holy god there is nothing better on a hot day.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-20-2008, 07:13 PM   #8
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Recipes 

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Busch Light? Well there's yer goddamn problem. Might as well've been drinking Keystone Light. Try a respectable american lager like PBR. Believe me, not all of them are that bad.

I just snuck a pint of my still-carbonating Munchner Hell, and holy god there is nothing better on a hot day.

Meh....I prefer it when yer funny!

Old 07-20-2008, 11:52 PM   #9
z987k

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Anchorage
Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBrit View Post
85 degrees here with high humidity. All day long I've been hacking away at the roots of a large tree stump. I can only go about ten minutes, then need a 15 minute break to cool down. Normally I would have a few BMCs during the breaks and have some HB at the end of the day. I believe there is a time and situation for every beer, even BMC. Busch lite in today's case.

Today tough, I started out on the HB. An ordinary bitter. I had it a bit cooler than I would normally, (45 degrees) It slid down really well during each break and served me well while reading the posts on this forum.

At 1:30 pm I'm starting to worry about my fast depleting stock of bitter, so I switch to a really cold Busch.......Totally undrinkable!! Even ice cold it just tastes like a rabid monkey took time off from playing in elephant dung to piss in my mouth!!

Now, I have no real axe to grind with BMC. I drink it often, and it works well sometimes, especially when working hard in heat like today........

But never, ever again will I be foolish enough to drink any BMC straight AFTER a few bottles of the real stuff.

I am going to get myself a reminder tattooed on my drinking hand. "Don't try that again, dumbass!!"
Evan!'s law in the first post!!!!! Record?

Old 07-21-2008, 12:13 PM   #10
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Recipes 

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
Evan!'s law in the first post!!!!! Record?
I am number one!!! I am number one!!!