Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First Advanced Mash

Old 07-19-2008, 12:41 AM   #1
desousae
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Advanced Mash

Hey Guys, I am a noob to this site and since I have been brewing for half a year, I imagine a noob at that as well.

After watching the stickey on Decoction Mashing, (big thanks to K for the video) I decided that I wanted to use a double decoction for my Winter Ale. I hope the pictures come out, but if not I will try to correct.

Mash setup

[IMG=http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/1292/dsc03266ml8.th.jpg[/IMG]

Wonderful Site, never had that with my all grain before

My OG came out better than ever, 1.042, I did not do the iodine test, but the wort tasted very sweet! Also, this brew was a fun day, about a total of 7 hours or so, now it is time for clean up.....

Old 07-19-2008, 03:13 AM   #2
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Cool Beans. It's always nice seeing people progress in their brewing. I wish I had the stones to do that.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
desousae
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warped04 View Post
Cool Beans. It's always nice seeing people progress in their brewing. I wish I had the stones to do that.
I have only done one extract brew and didn't enjoy it that much because I wanted to make my brew from scratch as much as possible. My first couple of all grains were ok, but as I progressed, I found ways to efficiently brew which saves alot of time and mistakes for that matter. Granted when all was said and done, yesterday was still a long day: started at 11:00AM and finished at 8:00PM. Though a good chunk of time was used in cleaning and more cleaning.

I can't wait till winter so I can tap this brew and let you know how it turns out.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:01 PM   #4
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Nicely done! I really enjoy decoction mashing but rarely have the time to devote to it. Last week I did a triple decoction munich dunkel and it was a full 8.5 hours before I finished and the yeast was pitched!

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station