Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Anyone Purchased from The CHI Company

Old 07-18-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Anyone Purchased from The CHI Company

Looks like they have very reasonable prices on kegs and associated equipment (4 cornies shipped for $92), but I have never heard of them before. Any experiences?

Corrupt Brewers

Old 07-18-2008, 11:30 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

They do have excellent prices and claim to be the supplier for other homebrew stores.

The information I found showed $92 before shipping. I'm in WA state and my cost per keg was going to be about $30 if I ordered from them.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:36 PM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Hey, check out the single handled ball-locks. $20 a piece ($16 shipping to the Seattle area for 4), so it should be similar for you.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:50 PM   #4
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah, single handle is what I was talking about, I should have specified. I actually like them better than the doubles, as the posts are more accesible and the handles are replaceable, and cannot seperate from the keg.

I think I'm getting 4.

Edit: Hey McK, do you know of a cheaper place shipped? If I buy them locally, they are $40 apiece!!!!

Corrupt Brewers

Old 07-19-2008, 12:24 AM   #5
McKBrew

Recipes 

I do not. I pay $35 +tax locally myself. A couple of the e-bay retailers are comparable with the CHI company, but I think they are probably the cheapest overall.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:26 AM   #6
Laurel

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
I do not. I pay $35 +tax locally myself. A couple of the e-bay retailers are comparable with the CHI company, but I think they are probably the cheapest overall.
kegconnection has pairs of used ones going for $50 + shipping.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:07 AM   #7
xiang
Recipes 

I have used them a couple of times now. No problems to date

Old 07-19-2008, 01:28 AM   #8
cdburg
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I ordered 4 cornies from them a few months ago. I got what I ordered, eventually, but their communication is lacking, to say the least. My order did not ship when originally promised. I found out later that I caught them between shipments from their supplier.

They also took a few days to answer emails, which is frustrating. After I emailed several times, they did finally reply with a shipment date. When I got the kegs, one didn't hold pressure, despite the fact they say they test each before shipping. They did ship me a replacement, free of charge, but it also took about 2 additional weeks for me to receive it.

You will get what you order, eventually. It just may take several weeks, and you shouldn't expect a quick reply to your questions. The keg quality was ok. From their website, I expected more. Of the 4 kegs, 2 had rubber that was cracked quite a lot. After scraping off the stickers and some barkeeper's friend, they look pretty nice though.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:52 AM   #9
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdburg View Post
I ordered 4 cornies from them a few months ago. I got what I ordered, eventually, but their communication is lacking, to say the least. My order did not ship when originally promised. I found out later that I caught them between shipments from their supplier.

They also took a few days to answer emails, which is frustrating. After I emailed several times, they did finally reply with a shipment date. When I got the kegs, one didn't hold pressure, despite the fact they say they test each before shipping. They did ship me a replacement, free of charge, but it also took about 2 additional weeks for me to receive it.

You will get what you order, eventually. It just may take several weeks, and you shouldn't expect a quick reply to your questions. The keg quality was ok. From their website, I expected more. Of the 4 kegs, 2 had rubber that was cracked quite a lot. After scraping off the stickers and some barkeeper's friend, they look pretty nice though.

So, considering the price, would you order from them again?

Corrupt Brewers

Old 07-19-2008, 02:04 AM   #10
McKBrew

Recipes 

I'll order from them for sure if I can get four kegs for under $100. I can't find a deal like that anywhere around here. Even if they need some work, I'd still come out ahead. Maybe next month.