The Truth Behind the Door-to-Door Magazine Subscription Industry - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The Truth Behind the Door-to-Door Magazine Subscription Industry

Old 07-22-2008, 07:49 PM   #21
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7450 Times on 6106 Posts

I have a home made sign on my door that reads "No Solicitation" in letter large enough that, if your eyes are decent, could be read from the street.

Below the large letters I have Ordinance cited;

"§ 39-19. Peddlers or solicitors; invitation required to enter posted premises.

No peddler or solicitor shall enter any premises or attempt to sell, peddle or solicit where the owner or occupant of such premises has indicated his/her desire not to be contacted for sales or solicitations by the placing of a "No Solicitors," "No Trespassers," or "No Trespassing" sign on those premises, and any such entrance or attempt to sell, peddle or solicit shall constitute a trespass upon private property.

(Code 1980, § 39-21; Ord. No. 18839, § 1, 9-8-87; Ord. No. 19971, § 1, 6-15-93)"

Now, if it's a little girl brownie scout I will usually entertain the act but, if it's a teen or adult they are greeted swiftly with a threat of charges for tresspass. I find that the "religious" seem to think that it does not apply to them but, for the most part, it has cut down on the numbers significantly.

I still have the occasional "ring and drop" advertisers tho'.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:32 PM   #22
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 87 Times on 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
I have a home made sign on my door that reads "No Solicitation" in letter large enough that, if your eyes are decent, could be read from the street.

Below the large letters I have Ordinance cited;

"§ 39-19. Peddlers or solicitors; invitation required to enter posted premises.

No peddler or solicitor shall enter any premises or attempt to sell, peddle or solicit where the owner or occupant of such premises has indicated his/her desire not to be contacted for sales or solicitations by the placing of a "No Solicitors," "No Trespassers," or "No Trespassing" sign on those premises, and any such entrance or attempt to sell, peddle or solicit shall constitute a trespass upon private property.

(Code 1980, § 39-21; Ord. No. 18839, § 1, 9-8-87; Ord. No. 19971, § 1, 6-15-93)"

Now, if it's a little girl brownie scout I will usually entertain the act but, if it's a teen or adult they are greeted swiftly with a threat of charges for tresspass. I find that the "religious" seem to think that it does not apply to them but, for the most part, it has cut down on the numbers significantly.

I still have the occasional "ring and drop" advertisers tho'.
mf'ers hawking religion door-to-door are selling BS just the same as the rest of the snake-oil crooks out there. I like to f*ck with 'em though...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #23
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 338 Times on 169 Posts

Magazine peddlers are often casing neighborhoods and you'll find break ins happening very soon after they come through. My neighborhood calls the cops and they get run off pretty quick. They are ballsy though, to walk down a 385 foot driveway at dusk to a house that you cannot see from the street in Texas to knock on a door to sell something.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:06 PM   #24
98EXL

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Maryland
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

I had two kids show up today doing this...thank god I have a sweet vantage point where I can check the door to see if I want to open it or not

Old 07-31-2008, 08:23 PM   #25
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Sandy Hook, MS
Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts

Dude I dig the hotties on summer break earning tuition money for the fall semester in Austin! I didn't know it was that shady, but I never believed little Beverly was a sophmore at UT either!

As for the JW's my grandfather came home one day and my grandmother was sitting on the front porch with the JW's. They introduced themselves, my grandfather goes inside, picks up his baseball bat, walks out on the front porch and gives them 5 seconds to leave. They left and he meant it!

Schlante,
Phillip

Ohhh I almost forgot. Be nice to the Mormons, invite them over for dinner, you'll get some yard work maybe even your house painted out of it!

Old 07-31-2008, 08:26 PM   #26
brauhaus

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Susquehanna Valley, PA
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

hey i used to sell mag subscriptions for school to raise money for trips and whatnot... i still get those crappy magazines to this day

Fire/EMS of HBT.com