The Truth Behind the Door-to-Door Magazine Subscription Industry - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The Truth Behind the Door-to-Door Magazine Subscription Industry

Old 07-18-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 88 Times on 73 Posts

This is a pretty long, but very interesting (and terrifying at times) look at the seedy world behind those poor kids who show up at your door talking about how they're working on a "scholarship" for "school"...

Goddamn, I had no idea! People can really be disgusting.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-18-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
98EXL

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Maryland
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

that's what I need to do, that's an awesome job...and they have drugs too...I wonder if they have candy...then I'm def in!

Old 07-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
findthefish

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Orange, CA
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Sounds like a fun job to me!

Oh, I mean, damn shady characters.

The Bruery Provisions - Homebrewing supplies and equipment.
BrewCommune - Orange County home brew club, yeast database, recipes, and forum.

On Deck: Belgian IPA
Primary: nothing
Secondary: Traditional Mead
Kegged: APA, Cream Ale, Belgian Ale, Sour Belgian, Barrel Aged RIS

Old 07-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #4
findthefish

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Orange, CA
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98EXL View Post
that's what I need to do, that's an awesome job...and they have drugs too...I wonder if they have candy...then I'm def in!
Don't forget about all that raping and murdering!

The Bruery Provisions - Homebrewing supplies and equipment.
BrewCommune - Orange County home brew club, yeast database, recipes, and forum.

On Deck: Belgian IPA
Primary: nothing
Secondary: Traditional Mead
Kegged: APA, Cream Ale, Belgian Ale, Sour Belgian, Barrel Aged RIS

Old 07-18-2008, 11:41 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts

It's really vile. One minor advantage of living where I do, no one other than JW's come up here. And there's a sign on the door that says in large unfriendly letters, "NO witnessing."

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-18-2008, 11:55 PM   #6
Arneba28

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Amherst, Western New York
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

lol "No witnessing" for the murders? or the Jahovas. I dont get sales people or those kinda things but I get the occational Jahovas, I look out the peep hole, strip naked, then answer the door telling them I am a Wiccan. They love it, well... I love the suprised look on there face!

Old 07-18-2008, 11:57 PM   #7
PeteOz77

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Canberra, ACT Australia
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
It's really vile. One minor advantage of living where I do, no one other than JW's come up here. And there's a sign on the door that says in large unfriendly letters, "NO witnessing."
When we were rooming together in college, one of my friends answered the door and JW were there....

Now just a bit of back story here on his past experiences with JW's.... his niece and nephew were going to day care every day while mum and dad were at work. Suddenly, one day, they started talking about Jehovah..... Mum and dad asked where they learned about Jehovah, and they told them that the lady at day care talked them about it every day.

.... SO anyway, he answered the door with a beer in his hand, and JW are there and they start their speil... He says "Oh! you are Witnessing? GREAT! Get ready to witness a BEATING!!!" and steps out the door. They left in a BIG HURRY.. and we never had them show up again.

I would love to use that line sometime, but I just say "No thanks" and slam the door in their face.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:01 AM   #8
FlyingHorse
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Evanston IL
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Evan, I'm gonna read it, 'cause you always post interesting sh!t...

but how bored ARE you today?

Old 07-19-2008, 12:06 AM   #9
blacklab

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Portland, ME
Liked 48 Times on 27 Posts

I never bought the story they tell. I've talked to these people a few times when home sick or working from home. It seemed like every single kid was 'like two or three' magazine sales away from making their goal of a trip to Hawaii or free college or whatever.

No big surprise that whole thing is a scam that takes advantage of; 1) minors who don't know better, and 2) shut ins who need attention. Gosh, you mean the girl with the ear jewlery the size of Eisenhower dollars, the hardest tats I've seen in years, and a permanent smokers hack isn't a junior at Hofstra? No way!

I could go off and rail on corporate America or lack of regulation, or whatever, but honestly, it comes down to the fact that some human animals will always try to take advantage of other human animals, if given the chance. Bummer.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:13 AM   #10
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2007
Southern Oregon
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Anyone who comes to my door and tries to sell ANYTHING gets an angry and rapid ushering off my property.

I don't work hard to maintain my sanctuary just so that some A-hole can come invade it!

I think that door-to-door solicitation should be illegal, as well as telemarketing. And no, I'm not a nut, I just hate to be bothered in my own house. I see enough advertising as it is!

Corrupt Brewers